TA, CH, FC in Vinyl

Tortuga353

Aug 2, 2020
Auburn, AL
Ok, so I’ve searched and read pool school but still I have a few questions.

Pool Math has TA Ideal at 60-80. I was at 110 and slowly marching to the 80 number with PH reduction to 7.2 then waterfall. Most things I’m reading say TA 80-120. Why is pool math lower? I’ve also read don’t screw with TA unless PH is rising. Which mine was but may stop at TA of 80.

I have a CH of 50 in a vinyl pool but have flagstone waterfall and flagstone coping. I also am having a Jandy electric heat pump installed and after reviewing warranty it does ask for CH 200-400 (I think). I am planning to raise this and seems fairly stable from what I read so I guess why not? PB pretty much said to
ignore this but I guess he doesn’t have to deal with a warranty claim, I will.

Lastly, my PB like others I read on here was like why so much chlorine and I discussed the CYA/FC chart and I think he passed out from overload. My understanding correct me if I’m wrong is the chlorine won’t impact vinyl fading because the effectiveness (read harshness of chlorine) is being buffered by stabilizer. Thus having 1-3 ppm straight diluted chlorine is like having the recommended 4-11 FC with CYA. Correct?

Ok, so I’ve searched and read pool school but still I have a few questions.

Pool Math has TA Ideal at 60-80. I was at 110 and slowly marching to the 80 number with PH reduction to 7.2 then waterfall. Most things I’m reading say TA 80-120. Why is pool math lower? I’ve also read don’t screw with TA unless PH is rising. Which mine was but may stop at TA of 80.
Most charts are aimed at people who use trichlor pucks, which is very acidic, hence they need extra TA. TA is not that critical. Some people tire of acid additions three or more times a week. If your pH is steady enough for you, don't sweat TA. As long as you're in acceptable range, you're fine. Ideal is only if you need to adjust. You have to pick a target so it may as well be a good one.
I have a CH of 50 in a vinyl pool but have flagstone waterfall and flagstone coping. I also am having a Jandy electric heat pump installed and after reviewing warranty it does ask for CH 200-400 (I think). I am planning to raise this and seems fairly stable from what I read so I guess why not? PB pretty much said to
ignore this but I guess he doesn’t have to deal with a warranty claim, I will.
Even 200 CH is pretty low and its cheap insurance. Don;t give a crappy builder an easy out if there's a warranty issue. I'd raise it just for that, not for the vinyl itself.
Lastly, my PB like others I read on here was like why so much chlorine and I discussed the CYA/FC chart and I think he passed out from overload. My understanding correct me if I’m wrong is the chlorine won’t impact vinyl fading because the effectiveness (read harshness of chlorine) is being buffered by stabilizer. Thus having 1-3 ppm straight diluted chlorine is like having the recommended 4-11 FC with CYA. Correct?
Yes, you are correct.

Reactions: Tortuga353
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.