Switching to swcg or automatic chlorinator

May 5, 2017
North Jersey
So I just ran the numbers and i am spending at least $500 a summer on my liquid chlorine (4 a gallon at Lowe's and about 100 days and 2.5 gallons or so every 2 days). Im thinking about getting either a swcg or automatic chlorinator, both of which should significantly reduce my cost.
I am pretty handy and have a friend who is a plumber by trade who I can probably bribe with smoked meat to give me a hand so cost should be less than 1k to install even the swcg, assuming the equipment is around 750 or so? I have a 28,000 gallon pool.
Any tips on installing either one including brands, pros and cons compared to pouring liquid in, etc are appreciated!

Not sure what you mean by an "automatic chlorinator" but we can help with a SWCG.

Get one that is rated for twice your pool volume. So a 60K system. I assume you have a timer for your pump so be sure to wire the SWCG through the time so it is only powered when the pump is running. This is important.

Pureline, Circupool, and Pentair make 60K rated systems. For DIY, Pureline (Inyopools) or Circupool are typically best as you get a warranty with them.

You will still use some liquid chlorine at opening, and if you let the chemistry get away from you and have to SLAM. You still need to test your FC and pH/TA often and manage them.

That dispenses Trichor. TFP does not recommend using Trichlor for daily maintenance. Trichlor adds chlorine and CYA. The CYA builds up and you have issues.

Reactions: Hootz
Besides the the issue of a chlorinator increasing cya; most of them do not work well with a variable speed pump set at lower rpm. The idea of saving money with a swg is usually not true; most say it is break even or slightly more. Unless it is an economy model, a 60k swg will go for around 1,250 give or take a few hundred. What one saves with a swg is time and gains convenience.

Besides the the issue of a chlorinator increasing cya; most of them do not work well with a variable speed pump set at lower rpm. The idea of saving money with a swg is usually not true; most say it is break even or slightly more. Unless it is an economy model, a 60k swg will go for around 1,250 give or take a few hundred. What one saves with a swg is time and gains convenience.
How much does it cost to replace the cell in a swcg?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.