Switching to bromine - start up questions

Feb 27, 2015
Grand Rapids MI
I just drained and refilled my tub after an Ahhsome purge (other thread). I’m going to switch to the bromine method here (from the sticky). I have a few questions for my start up.

I have high iron from my well and fill by going through a whole house iron filter, water softener, special iron hose filter and then into the tub. I then put in MetalGon and the bottle says to run for 24 hours before anything else is added. Here are my questions on next steps after waiting 24 hours.

Do I check CH first as it should be low. And then add Calcium Hardness?

After that do I adjust TA and then pH? And from there follow the bromine startup sticky?

After an Ahh-some treatment, drain, and refill my preferred order is:
Add sodium bromide then bleach to get sanitation into the tub.
Adjust TA first then pH. My tub is stable with TA = 50 and pH = 7.7
24 hours after adding the last baking soda the tub is at temperature and I will adjust CH. My replacement water has CH = 40. I normally bring CH up to 130.
I don't have high iron or well water so I can't comment on MetalGon usage.

Are you using a quality test kit?

Thanks for sharing your routine. Makes sense and I’ve been following that today. So far so good. Had super high TA so slowly bringing that down. I added the sodium bromide and some bleach to keep things in line that way until TA and pH are set.
I have the Taylor TF-100

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.