Switching from spa mode to pool mode without losing heat.

n8mojo

May 27, 2022
Sacramento, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
The equipment set installer setup our intelllicenter panel with pool and spa mode which I think is pretty typical. The spa spillover is at water height. We have shared equipment and two intellivalvws which regulate intake and return to pool and spa. We also have a dedicated pump for spa jets.

Question after using the spa for the first time on the weekend.

To heat the spa, of course I set the intellicenter to spa mode and added heat. After 15 minutes she was warm and heater kicked off. Pump continues to circulate in spa and no spillover is happening.

Let’s say kids all moved out of the spa and into the pool and I wanted to turn on pool mode to keep filtering running in pool… I would then select pool mode. However, this basically vacates the spas heated water as pool mode returns water to both spa and pool.

Is it normal to switch modes back and forth during a swim day, and can you setup a specific circuit which leaves the spa water uncirculated while you are in a “pool only” mode?

Separately I don’t understand how you configure the intellivalve circuits. Do you just select the circuit in the intellicenter app, then set the valve?

N,

Most spas "spillover" into the pool as that is the only way the spa gets fresh water. Even if the pool and spa are at the same level.

To fix your problem you need to find what makes your spa spillover, when in the pool mode. Then you can shut that off and then set up the Spillway function. This will allow you to turn the spillover on and off using a schedule a couple of times a day or manually anytime you want.

Show us a few pics of your equipment pad and we can help you find want makes your spa "spillover".

Thanks,

Jim R.

N,

Your valves for switching between the Pool mode and Spa mode work like this..

Pool mode... The Intake valve is set to suck water from the Pool, and send it through the system and back through the Return valve to the Pool. Note that normally when in the Pool mode a little water is also sent to the Spa to cause it overflow into the pool. This is usually done with a make-up valve when you have a good pool builder. If you have a lazy pool builder, he will just offset the Return valve to let water go to the Spa for the overflow.

Spa mode... The Intake valve is set to suck water from the Spa, and send it through the system and back through the Return valve to the Spa.

Spillway mode. The Intake valve is set to suck water from the Pool, and send it through the system and back through the Return valve to the Spa.

Thanks,

Jim R

Ok after some contemplation… and separately figuring out our spillover mode, I have decided that my question is not typical for a swim session.

After some additional research I think I have a better grasp on the two intelliflo valves. Basically there is valve a and b, and both are set for pool and spa mode directly on the valve using the set mode. That is where one would make changes to return flow.

Jim, we ended up with the lazy pool mode install: the offset valve returning a slight amount to spa.

Separately, I had a spillover feature setup but it didn’t do anything when I selected it. So I thought it was not a feature on a flush spa at first. I finally deleted the feature spillover circuit and readded it and voila! The pool intake returned 100% to spa.

I’m starting to learn the intellicenter has some built in “intelligence” and kind of configures itself based off the built in features and modes you select. For example, spillover mode automatically disables the “master cleaner” circuit.

As far as my main question, I think I’ll just leave it in spa mode if I intend to use spa, even if pool is active being used. Pool does not necessarily need to circulate while swimming for the day. Just need to put in pool mode at end of day and maybe bump my swg setting if we had a lot of bathers.

I suppose if I really decided to set it up so I can keep warm spa water retained while I ran the pool circuit, I would adjust my pool mode to not return any water to spa at the return valve, then alternatively schedule a spillover runtime or 30-60 minutes a day to circulate into main pool. At least that seems to make sense.

Thanks everyone. I’m learning quickly. Starting to get the hang of it and I think I can even tackle the water balance management with the resources on this site.

N,

Just so we are both on the same page. Valves A and B should have nothing to do with the Intake and Return valves. The Intake and Return valves have their own connections.. marked as..... Intake and Return. These two valves are automatically moved by the automation when switching between the Pool Spa modes. They really can't be used for much else.

Valves A and B are for any other valves you might have, and can be programmed to do what the user wants, within reason... :mrgreen:

Glad you got it working. :goodjob:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: n8mojo
Just so we are both on the same page. Valves A and B should have nothing to do with the Intake and Return valves. The Intake and Return valves have their own connections.. marked as..... Intake and Return. These two valves are automatically moved by the automation when switching between the Pool Spa modes. They really can't be used for much else.

Valves A and B are for any other valves you might have, and can be programmed to do what the user wants, within reason... :mrgreen:
Ah! Thank for that correction!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.