Switching from power to liquid chlorine

james-m

Gold Supporter
Sep 5, 2016
New York
1) You can probably find a better deal locally. Four bucks a gallon for 6% bleach isn't very cheap.
2) What is a "shock session"?
3) I've never had to "shock"my pool. I just keep enough chlorine in the water that I donlt get algae and then I never need to do anything special.

It's probably time to review Pool School. Start with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Or watch the new videos Trouble Free Pool

3) I've never had to "shock"my pool. I just keep enough chlorine in the water that I donlt get algae and then I never need to do anything special.

What is the Shock column for on the FC/CYA Chart for?

FC/CYA Levels

I was under the impression that TFP still recommends shocking the pool (with liquid chlorine) on a regular basis. Or is that only when you encounter algae?

Thanks for posting the videos, I hadn't seen those yet and they're done very well.

The free chlorine/CYA chart includes a shock value for the times when you need to SLAM. We do not shock but instead SLAM. Shocking is a one time thing. SLAM is a process. SLAM stands for shock level and maintain. If necessary (you have algae, high combined chlorine readings, cloudy water, or higher than normal chlorine consumption), you may need to SLAM the pool. This is only done on an as needed basis and not routinely (not weekly or at any other set frequency). Only when necessary as dictated by water conditions and testing.

Reactions: TFP-Guy
What is the Shock column for on the FC/CYA Chart for?

FC/CYA Levels

I was under the impression that TFP still recommends shocking the pool (with liquid chlorine) on a regular basis. Or is that only when you encounter algae?

Thanks for posting the videos, I hadn't seen those yet and they're done very well.
Never have we recommended shocking on a regular basis. You read that somewhere else, or got us confused with the pool store.

Shock level is for dealing with algae. If you maintain the minimum on that chart, you will not get algae and you will never ever need to refer to that column.

1) You can probably find a better deal locally. Four bucks a gallon for 6% bleach isn't very cheap.
Ok. But is the link valid? i.e. this is a liquid chlorine that could be used to shock the pool? Would this be a better link: Pool Essentials Chlorinating Liquid - Walmart.com ?

2) What is a "shock session"?
Usually I shock the pool once a week: i.e. add 3.5 of power shock 1lb bags. So the question is how many gallons of liquid chlorine should I add instead?

The question is how often do I add liquid chlorine. Would adding it once a week work as well? i.e. check the water once a week, if needs chlorine, add it once a week?

Last edited:
You will need to check the chlorine level daily in the beginning and add what is necessary (liquid chlorine) to return yourself to target chlorine level each day.

Once you get an idea on how much chlorine your pool uses each day, you can add that amount and check less frequently (add daily, check a few times per week).

Ok. But is the link valid? i.e. this is a liquid chlorine that could be used to shock the pool?

Usually I shock the pool once a week: i.e. add 3.5 of power shock 1lb bags. So the question is how many gallons of liquid chlorine should I add instead?

The question is how often do I add liquid chlorine. Would adding it once a week work as well? i.e. check the water once a week, if needs chlorine, add it once a week?
That stuff could be used, but you could probably find 10% bleach at Walmart of BJs or Menards or Home Depot or whatever big box stores you have in your area. See also Best Places to Buy Liquid Chlorine You want Sodium Hypochlorite without scents, anti-splash additives, or chloromax fabric protector.

I'm not going to do the convesrion for you because that implies it's okay. It's not. A big dose once a week might -- might--- keep algae at bay but it will not keep water sanitary. To do both you just have to keep the FC/CYA Levels right. Which leads to the last answer:

You should be adding chlorine every day, enough to keep you from dipping bellow the minimum before the next time you add.

You've been a member for three years. Have you somehow missed pool school?

Never have we recommended shocking on a regular basis. You read that somewhere else, or got us confused with the pool store.

Shock level is for dealing with algae. If you maintain the minimum on that chart, you will not get algae and you will never ever need to refer to that column.

You're right, I'm still relatively new at this (only had the pool for a couple of months, and only known about this website for a few weeks). Your response and the other one cleared up my misunderstanding.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I went through it several times over the years. The confusion is not how to measure or how to add. It is more of a switch from power to liquid chlorine.
PoolMath can give you a dose using bleach of varying strengths as well as Cal-hypo of varying strengths, dichlor, trichlor..... just about any source of chlorine you choose to use.

Dumping 3½ pounds of chlorine in once a week is not recommended as a pool care regimen.

I went through it several times over the years. The confusion is not how to measure or how to add. It is more of a switch from power to liquid chlorine.
No one has asked you yet: Do you test your own pool water at home with a titration-based kit (drops of liquid reagents, and not paper test strips)? If so, do you know the cyanuric acid (CYA) level of your pool water? And the levels of free chlorine (FC) and combined chlorine (CC)?

If you know those levels from titration-based tests you've executed yourself, we can look at the FC/CYA chart linked in post #3 and advise from there using the PoolMath link in post #13.

If you don't test your own water and don't know those levels, you will need to determine it to find out what quantity of liquid chlorine to add to your pool every day.

To respond to the questions in the OP:

1. Would this: Amazon.com: Wholesale CASE of 10 - KIK Custom Prod. PureBright Germicidal Bleach-Pure Bright Ultra Bleach, 1 Gal, White: Health & Personal Care be something I need? -- You can use a 6% bleach like that if it's truly nothing but a solution of sodium hypochlorite and water. I'd be hesitant to buy bleach online, though, because I'd have no way to verify the freshness of the solution. Bleach/chlorinating liquid (same thing, different names) weakens over time, so you want to buy the freshest possible**. If you do go to WalMart and pick up that 10% Pool Essentials liquid you found, you'll do a lot better -- plus, 10% is a stronger, more economical concentration than 6%.

2. How many gallons per "shock session" (I have a 35K gallon concrete, inground pool)? -- Dosing the pool will be daily (see below). Size of the dose depends on the specifics of your pool water's chemical levels (CYA and FC).

3. Is it still once a week? -- No, it will be daily.

** Chlorine Date Code Decoder -- you will want to read this to use liquid chlorine effectively.

After you've done the test / dose thing daily for a little while you'll start to learn the characteristics of your pool in different weather conditions. Sun eats chlorine, rain might dillute it just a tad. Organics like leaves will also eat chlorine. Cold water limits algae growth. It's not as hard as it sounds. I switched to an SWG, but when I was using bleach, I quickly got to a point where I could pretty accurately predict chlorine needs and I was testing every second or even third day. Ph can be a little trickier to predict ... But yes, a recommended test kit makes a world of difference. Pricey, but totally worth it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.