SWITCHING baquacil to chlorine

panicked

Jun 11, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
We're in our 3rd year of a BAQUACIL pool. It's a 32x16 (20,000 gallons) above ground pool planted into the ground (I've enclosed a picture). Our pool sits outside in New Mexico's strong sun all day long. The first year was fantastic, until late in the season when I broke out in a nasty rash from the baquacil chemical CDX. We tried to go forward without CDX, but if you can't use CDX it pretty much doesn't work. We've struggled w/ pink slime and cloudy hazy water. Now it's taking 4x the required oxidizer to come close to a normal reading, and it only lasts for a day or two. We've decided to switch over to chlorine, and have read your post called "Convert Your Bacqua Pool to Chlorine." Our first questions are how long should we expect this process to take and since we have such bright constant sun should we plan to shade the pool? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 31892E5D-43EA-44C8-877E-9270A7D64AE9.jpeg
    31892E5D-43EA-44C8-877E-9270A7D64AE9.jpeg
    869.7 KB · Views: 27
How much water can you realistically drain without hurting your budget?

Also, please update your signature with all of your pool equipment specs, pool size and volume. It’s harder to help you if we have to ask for that information over and over again.

Last edited:
We're in our 3rd year of a BAQUACIL pool. It's a 32x16 (20,000 gallons) above ground pool planted into the ground (I've enclosed a picture). Our pool sits outside in New Mexico's strong sun all day long. The first year was fantastic, until late in the season when I broke out in a nasty rash from the baquacil chemical CDX. We tried to go forward without CDX, but if you can't use CDX it pretty much doesn't work. We've struggled w/ pink slime and cloudy hazy water. Now it's taking 4x the required oxidizer to come close to a normal reading, and it only lasts for a day or two. We've decided to switch over to chlorine, and have read your post called "Convert Your Bacqua Pool to Chlorine." Our first questions are how long should we expect this process to take and since we have such bright constant sun should we plan to shade the pool? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Not sure if you are still planning this but...Just switched from Baquacil CDX to chlorine and am on my way to SWG. I have some posts you might want to look at. And yes as you convert, hind sight tells me I should have left the coverr at least partially on cause during the day the sun eats the chlorine big time!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.