Switched from DE to sand and pump stopped working

Votey

May 14, 2020
Michigan
Hi TFP,

I have a very old concrete pool that, due to a bad job of closing last year, was a nightmare cesspool this spring. We’ve been working hard cleaning it up and, although it’s still cloudy and light green, we felt that we were ready for the next step.

So yesterday I removed my old DE filter and installed a brand new Triton II 600 lb sand filter, new multiport valve, and new 9 lb tab chlorinator. Everything looked good and ran fine.

Today I was running the pump while brushing and skimming the pool, when I noticed no flow at the returns. Filter pressure was around 22, started at 14 yesterday. So I shut it off and started a backwash. Backwash lasted about ten seconds then the pump shut off by itself. Pump housing was pretty hot, but didn’t seem catastrophic.

So then, thinking all my brushing and churning had caused debris to clog my suction line, I opened the pump cover, stuck a towel-wrapped garden hose in the suction side and turned it on. Water flowed fine back to the skimmer. Plugged the skimmer hole and saw bubbles etc. above the main drain, so that’s ok.

I let the pump cool down a while and then did a few minutes of backwashing without incident. Set valve back to filter and started pump again. Ran for a couple minutes with good water flow at the returns and then shut off by itself again.

What do you think? Did my pump overheat and damage itself? Is it related to the new filter somehow? What is my next step in diagnosing this problem?

Its probably not related just a coincidense, but to rule it out completely please run your pump with the MPV in recirculate. If the pump still gets hot and shuts down there is one more thing your can try. The impeller might be clogged or stuck with something. Open the pump basket and remove the strainer(make sure you disconnect the pump from electricity)and feel with your fingers if the impeller turnes freely. Let us know.

Thanks for your help. I couldn’t feel an impeller in the pump. It just feels like a smooth pipe going toward the motor. My fingers might be too short?

Set the MPV to Recirc and the pump is running. Good flow at returns and good flow into pump strainer basket.

Edit: noticed my new chlorinator is leaking. appears to have been cracked during shipping.

Did you wait some time to see if it shut down or heats up? It could be 2 things. 1 something inside the filter is blocking the flow(algae) or 2 the pvc pipes could be mis connected. Can you take a picture closer to the MPV? There are markings that say to pump, to pool or something like that.
let us know

I ran it a few minutes and kept checking the pump housing for excessive heat. It was warm but not hot. By then it was almost midnight and I had to go to bed, so I turned it off.

We quadruple checked the MPV connections while installing, so I’m positive the pump is connected to “Pump” and the return line to “Return”.

Maybe I need to open up the filter and see if anything looks off?

Okay so I am convinced that my pump motor is dying. It runs until it gets too hot, then shuts down, then starts again when the temperature drops enough, then stops again. I’ve ordered an exact replacement motor and a new shaft seal. With YouTube’s help I should be able to DIY this.

Reactions: Flying Tivo
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.