switch to a VS pump?

jstephens1

Bronze Supporter
May 14, 2017
Belmont
i currently have a 1hp Hayward super pump. it runs 24x7.

Duke Energy has a rebate running for $300 if you swap to a VS pump. you have to use one of their installers. i talked with the guy today and they use Jandy pumps. he claims i can say $30-40 a month off my power bill by switching. does this sound right to you all ?

Yeah sounds "about right"

It costs me about 75C a day with 19C per KWH rates to run my pump 23x7.

A lot of the saving depends on just how slow you can run it and have the pool actually work

I can get good skimming action at around 175-180 watts, better than most.

too slow and the skimming suffers

If you run heater or chlorinators they need more speed than skimming .
UD

If you continue to run the pump 24x7 you will save a good amount of money going to a VS pump and running it at reduced speed. With 300 in rebates you are spending about the same money if you were to upgrade to a 2-speed motor for your current pump.

I'm guessing your current pump is probably using about 1.3 kw each hour of run time so roughly 13 cents an hour or $3.12 a day.

A VS pump running around 1500rpm will use about 0.2 kw each hour which is 2 cents an hour or $0.48 a day.

3.12x30 = $94 a month for your current pump 24x7

0.48x30 = $14.40 a month for a VS pump

I went with a VSP setup and then sold the old pump for $100 on Craigslist. That brought my installed cost down to $475 total. Electric is cheap around here but I'll still have a reasonable payback period and all the VSP features are nice.

i currently have a 1hp Hayward super pump. it runs 24x7.
You could easily save almost 85% in energy costs by going from 24 hr/day to 4 hr/day. You run time is way more than you need.

You could easily save almost 85% in energy costs by going from 24 hr/day to 4 hr/day. You run time is way more than you need.

that was the path i started down, but when i was figuring out head pressure it really seems like this pump is undersized for this pool

201 ' of 1 1/2
10 90's
2 T's
250lb hayward sand filter

the pump pad is in the garage at the end of the pool, we are looking at 48' from the pump to the end of the pool

I run my pool with a 1/2 HP pump on LOW SPEED. So I don't think yours is too small. Why do you think it is undersized?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
when i was working up the feet of head i was over 50 and when i look up the model [FONT=&quot]SP2607X10 [/FONT][FONT=Amazon Ember, Arial, sans-serif]at[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 50' it is rated at 40 GPM and at 60' of head it dives to 9 GPM[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]
worked out to
50' = 9.3 hours of runtime
60' = 51 hours to turn the water over once

am i way off? i'm new to this[/FONT]

worked out to
50' = 9.3 hours of runtime
60' = 51 hours to turn the water over once

am i way off? i'm new to this
Despite what you read on the internet, run time is not really dependent on flow rate. The whole concept of turnover is a bit of a myth. I run about 1/4 to 1/2 turn per day depending on solar demand. Without solar, I run about 2 hours per day and that is all I need.

How did you get to 50' of head?

What is the pump model (e.g. SuperFlo)?

What is the filter pressure?

How high is is the pump relative to water level?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.