Swimclear filter housing won’t stop leaking

You may have already checked this but I had a similar leak problem last year. Upon close examination the leak was coming from the base of the pressure gauge and water was running down the filter housing top and dripping off of the ring. It looked like the leak was coming from the o-ring but it was actually a cracked pressure gauge problem.
On this model the pressure gauge is screwed into the manual air release, but my last house with a pool had the swimclear filter with one cartridge and the pressure gauge was threaded into the upper shell of it. This threaded part split down the middle and leaked on me.

I was able to stop the leak. It was not cracked as I hoped, but the filter housing has definitely endured 20 years of Texas UV so it doesnt look great. I took it apart to clean and lube, and looking at the o ring, I'm thinking there is a top and bottom. I assumed it was symmetrical from picture and directions, but now I'm thinking the white paint marker was to indicate the part that faces up? It almost looks like the bottom is flatter and the top is more curved. My other issue was the clamp not being tight enough. I work on cars and 150 in/pounds is only 12.5 foot pounds... I thought I could eye ball it, but I guess not. I used my 1/4 drive torque wrench and 150 in/lbs is a lot tighter than I thought!

A tank this old can also get a warped top or bottom
This tank looks twenty years old at least,I agree with you James just replace the whole unit.
I agree. His first post stated he had to tap the belly band to get it to seat properly. If he wants to test, mark the top section above the band and the band with a sharpie. Rotate it 6-12 inches and tighten. See if the leaks follow the move.

Reactions: 98Poolmaster
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.