Swim Up Bar Stools

ButchRay

Sep 29, 2019
Niceville Florida
Hey guys - Several months lurking...first post. We have bar stools going in that will be about 34 inches high. This will leave everyones legs dangling, unable to touch the bottom when seated. People will be seated in approx. 8 inches of water, so water will be 3 to 4 inches below the belly button or right at the waist. Stools are 12 inches in diameter without plaster and currently unbearable to sit on for more than 2 minutes (I've had a few beers there already)...but no water yet. Will this be comfortable, or should we pour a footrest ledge?
As a lurker, I realize I will now need to go take pictures, and will do that this morning.

Uploaded pic. The option is to add a 12 or 13 inch tall ledge between stool and wall. It will completely fill the gap between front of stool and the wall. Cost will be between $800 and $1000...worth it for comfort or good as is?

Attachments

• bar stools.jpg
    bar stools.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 66
Uploaded pic. The option is to add a 12 or 13 inch tall ledge between stool and wall. It will completely fill the gap between front of stool and the wall. Cost will be between $800 and $1000...worth it for comfort or good as is?
A $1k add on for new pool construction is pretty cheap in the grand scheme. I like having my feet touch so the ledge sounds like a good idea. Another thought would be, why not cut the top of the stools down like 6"?

Thanks for your input Berger82. We're already at the max level below the top of the bar at 18 inches (top of stool to top of bar is 18 inches) so cutting them down is not a good option. I do wish they sat deeper in the water though...it's a balance between bar height, stool height, and how much you sit in the water.

No regrets with ours, that's pretty much where I spend my time. I opted to make mine a bit shorter, I think 26" and water is at the belly button level. No regrets with that either.

One thing you'll want to think about is cleaning. It's hard to get the brush everywhere, especially underneath the top. I bought a cheap dish washing nylon brush (the type of thing you'd scrub a plate with). I swim with goggles and just manually brush them. I can do two bar stools on one long breath. It's a lot easier and more thorough and honestly kind of fun if you like snorkeling. I also use that brush to get the corners and other hard to reach areas of the pool.

No regrets with ours, that's pretty much where I spend my time. I opted to make mine a bit shorter, I think 26" and water is at the belly button level. No regrets with that either.

One thing you'll want to think about is cleaning. It's hard to get the brush everywhere, especially underneath the top. I bought a cheap dish washing nylon brush (the type of thing you'd scrub a plate with). I swim with goggles and just manually brush them. I can do two bar stools on one long breath. It's a lot easier and more thorough and honestly kind of fun if you like snorkeling. I also use that brush to get the corners and other hard to reach areas of the pool.
Thank you DB. I was looking for water your depth as well but had to make a tradeoff. Thank you for the cleaning tip, that's what I'll do. I don't plan on swimming much January-March...should I do the best I can with the regular brush during that time.

Thank you DB. I was looking for water your depth as well but had to make a tradeoff. Thank you for the cleaning tip, that's what I'll do. I don't plan on swimming much January-March...should I do the best I can with the regular brush during that time.

Regular brush will be fine. That’s not the peak cleaning season so you should be fine. I can do a good job of cleaning them with the large brush it just takes longer and is kind of annoying. In the water is fun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.