Gold Supporter
Nov 17, 2020
Texas
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I want to pour round swim-up bar stools. I there a standard diameter and spacing between stools. I was thinking 24" spacing between stools, but I'm not sure what would work best for the diameter. Any help/thoughts and pictures would be appreciated.

Welcome to TFP.

Nothing is standard in pool design.

Make sure the stools are not placed where swimmers can injure themselves while swimming. What type and size pool are you building?

I think many folks here think the novelty wears off quickly and the stools will take space in the pool forever.

Nope, not me. The opposite, in fact. Built-in stools, tables, umbrellas, etc, even in-pool spas and tanning shelfs, are all on my "wouldn't ever have them" list. While I have certainly enjoyed my share of swim up pool bars, they were all at resorts where someone else had to take care of the pool.

If you decide to have them, you can kiss automatic pool cleaners good bye! You'll need to sweep and vacuum your pool by hand, because any cleaner on the market will just get wrapped up in the stools, no matter what shape they are.

Tanning should be done on the deck. Soaking should be done in stand-alone spas. Drinking and eating should be done at the patio table... The pool is for swimming and playing in the water, and setup with all the automation you can afford so that you spend your time enjoying the water, not caring for it. But maybe that's just me...

Last edited:
Reactions: jimmythegreek
Well, perhaps this will be more useful: if you do have permanent stools, you could put them on a raised platform. You'd still need to clean the platform and stools manually, but vacuums and robots will hit the platform and turn around and go off and clean elsewhere, without getting tangled in the stools...

Gun-to-head had to have stools in my pool? I'd just put stools in the pool. Something no-rust that would sink to the bottom, but not scratch it, and could be moved, and removed as needed. Spacing decision would be non-existent.

Last edited:
We just put a few coolers next to the wall. Question who's going to jump out to get/make the cocktails?

I always wonder why people put in bars, one has to go around it to get anything. When a nice round high-top table works best with fridge and cabinets nxt to it works better.

jw22jal%RaaMQ21cf%9pVw.jpg

Reactions: Dirk
Nope, not me.

Ahhhh, mea culpa calling @DB-Cooper (I wonder how MY bar stool is doing).

Davwil, the pool Rich referenced has the platform I was describing that would allow stools and an auto-vac system. And while the pool has almost everything I wouldn't want in mine, it is inarguably amazing, I gotta admit. You might PM the owner of that pool and see if he still likes having those stools: any suggestions, any regrets, etc.

You might want to consider removable in-pool options so they can be taken out of the pool when not in use.

I didn't suggest removable stools for the same reason I don't like in-pool umbrellas. I suppose they work, because they get installed often enough, but I just don't like the idea of the penetration. It's got to go through the plaster/pebble finish, which is the waterproof "membrane" of a pool, and then into the gunite. There is a sleeve, I imagine, to keep things waterproof, but then you insert a lever into that sleeve, topped with a seat, and then folks sit on it, stand on it, climb on it, and otherwise wiggle it around. That just seems like asking for trouble. Umbrellas are just as bad, because they are longer and the wind is constantly pushing on a 6'-7' fulcrum. Maybe they're fine. Just not for me. Plus, you're back to the issue of where to place them. And the sleeves sure seem like they'd be a good place to collect dirt and debris and eventually algae. How do you keep them clean?

This seems like the better solution, lots of colors:

Here's a less expensive type:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Ahhhh, mea culpa calling @DB-Cooper (I wonder how MY bar stool is doing).

Still doing great. Pool hasn't been used in a few weeks given the weather, but outside the one issue of me popping the top off, they've held up well. Only downside is maybe 1/10 times I run the pool robot, he gets hung up around the bar stools. Surprisingly, they've been easy to keep clean. ZERO regrets, I literally spent hours a day there every day during the Summer. They became the major sitting area.

I did labor over the height a bit, and I think I nailed it. I can measure distances, etc. I have no issues with knees, don't feel too close or too far to people on the next bar stools.

Thank you. Somehow I missed all these posts and information. I have already built the perimeter of the pool around a circular sunken bar. It would be difficult at this point to fully utilize that area with bar stools. I do want to put an in-floor cleaning system in and maybe that would solve the cleaning issue of robots getting hung up. However, after looking at the removal bar stools (not those anchored in the pool), those might be an even better option since they can be moved exactly where needed. I'm not sure my wife would go for those and personally I just like the looks of the permanent ones better. I also don't want any more maintenance that absolutely necessary, but it might be a trade off to please the boss. I'll reach out to DB-Cooper and see if there's anyway to see a picture of what he has, dimensions, spacing, pool depth at bar, etc. I just started working with BYOP company so I don't yet have a lot of details to share except for maybe the dimensions of the bar, which I could do. Thanks for all the information.

I’m still working on the pool. The ice/snow storm hit us hard and delayed everything. I have an electrical bid, a gunite bid and next week should have a steel and plumbing bud, which I need to get started.
Based on all the input and suggestions on here, I’ve decided to can the in floor cleaning system and go with robots. I’be sourced travertine tile for the coping and I’m going with SWG and maybe a commercial Ozone generator (I have access to one that came from a water park at a very reasonable price).
As soon as I can get the project underway I’ll post pics and more details.

You're almost there. Ditch the ozone, no matter how good a price. It'll just increase your electric bill and eat up your chlorine and clog up the space available on your equipment pad. It serves no useful purpose in an outdoor residential pool. Really. None. Nothing but negatives.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.