SWGC generator

geewiss

Bronze Supporter
Jul 23, 2020
Centreville Maryland
I have the Pentair IC40 SaltCell and I'm having trouble computing total chlorine made for a period.
I found the chart but I'm math challenged. :)

Can someone break the math down for me?

If I leave my salt cell on for 9 hours a day, how many ppm will it generate for my pool?

Thanks for the help!

GW,

When run at 100% output, your cell will add .13 ppm of FC per hour to your sized pool. Nine hours only adds about 1.23 ppm of FC, which sounds like way too little unless you have a cover of some type.

You can do this in the old pool match link at the bottom of this page. Enter your pool volume at the very top and then move to the bottom of the page under "Effects of chemicals". Select Chlorine Gas and enter 22.4 oz as the amount, as your IC40 produces 1.4 lbs of gas per day.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Did my pool builder undersize the salt cell?

GW,

Depends.. If you have an IntelliFlo VS pump, then no, as it costs very little to run the IntelliFlo per hour.... If you have a single speed pump, then yes, as you'd want a larger cell so that you can keep your run time as short as possible. We always recommend that you use a cell that is rated for 2 x the volume of your pool, and you are pretty close to that...

The amount of FC usage also depends, a lot, on what your CYA level is.. For saltwater pools we recommend 70 ppm or so of CYA. See the saltwater section of this chart.. FC/CYA Levels

Thanks,

Jim R.

Interesting indeed. I have a Pentair Whisperflo (high performance pump) which I believe is a single speed pump so I guess that's an issue on energy cost since I have to run pump so long to generate chlorine levels needed. Am I understanding correctly?

I have my CYA level correct at right about 70.

GW,

You are correct... With a single speed pump, I would run the cell at 100% output and for the shortest amount of time you need to run to generate the amount of chlorine your pool needs.

I would start by running longer than you think you need, and then dialing it back... Keep in mind that FC being a little high does not hurt anything.. Better a little high than low.. Running a little high also means not worrying about a cloudy day, so that you are not trying to constantly adjust the run time to hold your FC at an exact number.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.