SWG with 2-speed pump low speed only?

GregN

Jun 18, 2015
Central NJ
HI All - I currently chlorinate my AGP with bulk, 5 gallon liquid bleach (12.5% concentration) I purchase from the local pool store. Prices of bleach are going up and making multiple trips to the store is getting a bit "old" as well. I also have to transfer the bleach to smaller more manageable bleach containers, thus adding another time consuming step to keeping the pool clean (not meaning to whine here, as I do realize this goes hand n hand with owning a pool, but i do like working efficiently when possible). I will say though that my pool has been crystal clear for the past two summers using this procedure thanks to proper testing and using the TFP method.

I have a Hayward Matrix 1 HP 2 speed pump that I run on low speed 10 hours a day. I have it plugged into a simple timer (the kind with the circular dial and green and red pins) and it works just fine and my pool is clean. I have a dedicated outlet that the timer is plugged into on a 20amp breaker.

My question is can i install a salt water generator and continue to only run the pump on low for 10 hours with my existing set up? I'm thinking the saltwater generator could be wired to the pump and run constantly when the pump is on, and the amount of chlorine would be adjusted by the SWG control panel? I've heard good things about Circupool SWG's, but not sure which model might suite my needs based on what I described; or even if my approach is viable.

I was hoping to avoid having to purchase a more complex time and hard wiring the pump and SWG to the timer with pump schedules of both high and low speed settings.

I'd appreciate any feedback from those familiar with SWGs.

Thanks,
Greg

Thanks for the feedback Jim. Good to know that the flow rate shouldn't be an issue running my pump on low.

Do you, or perhaps anyone else familiar with my pump (Hayward Powerflo Matrix 1 HP two speed pump (SP15922S), know how I would wire the SWG control pannel to the pump? My pump presently runs on 115 volt and has a 6' power cord that terminates in a 3-prong plug.

Thanks,
Greg

What kind of timer do u have? What swg did u buy? Does it have the ability to plug in? My timer has 2 outlets so when I upgrade my swg I will just plug it in to my timer. FA4C8076-214F-47B6-AB8A-7DE454640F50.png888D632B-A2AD-43BB-B60D-58CD196883B1.png

Mdragger88 - thanks for the reply. My current time is a simple intermatic, like yours in that the pump is simply plugged into it (not hardwired), but it only has 1 outlet. I have not purchased a SWG yet, but I am looking into the Circupools....just trying to gain a complete understanding of the installation process, and trying to figure out the easiest way to integrate a SWG into my system.

Tx-Greg

Yes, well it may not be that easy. It seems that at least the Circupool SJ series require a hardwire connection to a timer, while my Hayward Matrix pump terminates in a 3 prong requiring an outlet for power. So the method of connecting them to a power supply is different.

Reactions: Mdragger88
This story is mere conjecture, but your setup will likely work even on low. During the time I was waiting on a replacement pump motor to arrive, I was able to successfully run my Circupool RJ-45+ with a 1HP sump pump thrown into the pool. I had the discharge hose just stuffed into the skimmer line, and it wasn't exactly a perfect seal. The pressure was barely registering on the gauge, but it was enough to trip the flow switch and allow the SWG to operate. For comparison, my normal pump is a 2.5HP two speed. On high the system pressure is about 17 psi, on low about 5 psi.

For power, just put a 2 or 3 tap on there. 3 tap

Depending on which Circupool model you are looking at, you can likely switch it between 120V or 240V based on how it is wired (it explains it in the manual) or it might handle it automatically. The CORE models come with normal plugs for an outlet. If you select a model that does not come with a plug, you can easily attach one to the wires using something like this

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Depending on which Circupool model you are looking at, you can likely switch it between 120V or 240V based on how it is wired (it explains it in the manual) or it might handle it automatically. The CORE models come with normal plugs for an outlet. If you select a model that does not come with a plug, you can easily attach one to the wires using something like this
That approach, converting the SWG control pannel wires to a plug would certainly simplify the set up; and also allow for both the
SWG control pannel and pool pump to be easily removed for winter storage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.