SWG vs stenner pump questions

topherchris

Jun 2, 2019
Cleveland, OH
I've read most of the posts regarding SWG and stenner chlorine pumps, but have a few questions before I pull the trigger. Right now, I'm adding liquid chlorine, but would like to make the process more automated. I'm leaning towards a SWG but I'm concerned about corrosion to my autocover. It's been addressed before and some say that the risk is exaggerated, but most people were hesitant to say definitively.

1.) Has anyone had experience with corrosion to autocover parts while using salt water pool? Or conversely, have people used an autocover for years with salt water without problems?
2.) I read the warranty on my autocover, it doesn't seem to limit coverage due to corrosion from salt water. Has anyone had trouble getting repairs covered?
3.) I've read that a zinc anode can limit the damage, but my PB says that an anode was not put in at time of construction. Is it difficult to install an anode after the fact? The cover motor seems to have a ground wire attached to it, but I have no idea where it goes.

Regarding stenner pump:
4.) Can the chlorine sit outside without degrading if the container is opaque? I've always kept my chlorine sheltered from the sun and heat.

Funny you should mention autocovers. I’m just sitting back after cleaning and sealing mine this afternoon. Here are my thoughts on our autocover in its 8th season.
1) There is corrosion on my autocover motor. However, the motor is not in contact with saltwater. Though my dogs pull out water and walk over the motor area so some drips down on it. Painted steel corrodes outside. The motor cover appears to not be SS, though maybe some are. Is it worse because of my dogs? Maybe. No other corrosion visible at all. All of the SS and aluminum is in perfect shape.
2) No claims made. If my motor fails some day, it will be long out of warranty and expected.
3) If you search here for zinc annodes here you’ll likely find a post or several from one of our experts saying they are basically useless in this setting. I wouldn’t give getting one a second thought.
4) Chlorine degrades in the heat, no doubt. But I also see no reason to stay away from a SWG. You will love it!

No corrosion at all on the aluminum rails. Yes, the manufacturers recommend sealing. I use 303 Aerospace. A gallon has lasted for 3 times so far. Probably enough for 4 times. I seal every 2-3 years. I feel like every year might be best but until this year, I hadn’t perfected my technique so it was kind of a pain. I wash it first. I use car wash but dish soap would also be fine. I put spray some water with the soap and use my nylon bristle pool brush from the sides. 1 hour tops, much of which is spraying or brushing the water towards the cover pump. Let it dry completely. Then I have a orange fake chamois towel that I wraparound the nylon pool brush and use a string wrapped around it to secure it and tie with knots. Then I pour the protectant along the sides and brush over sections at a time. When done, I remove the rag and manually do the edges making sure to really get the fabric seam at the sides. Looking at it now I think a few hours in good sunshine for it to dry and soak in is good. You‘ll get the hang of how much is enough to use. You don’t want to overdue it. I’ll hit the front of the leading bar after I roll it up. The edges and the part over the dam definitely seem drier than the flat portion before sealing. I always keep my pump in the same place since it creates a nice dirt stain. I don’t try to remove it. I just scrub evenly all over then seal that dirt ring in. My cover is charcoal and the dirt ring is dark grey to black, so it matches!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.