SWG Troubleshooting

ESherman14

Jul 1, 2019
San Angelo, Tx
Good morning. I am new to the TFP method, but completed our first SLAM last week and so I’ve been troubleshooting other problems with our pool as I get used to the testing and more familiar with our pool. We have had our house with pool for 3 summers and realized at inspection that our pool was salt water. The first summer, we had a pool company open for us and ran as salt. We had a guy keeping up with our pool for us, so we weren’t familiar with testing and just went with what he said for the first summer. The second summer DH did it utilizing a pool store for testing-however our salt cell didn’t seem to be working and were advised to replace the salt cell, but didn’t have the funds since we had drained and repainted the plaster at the beginning of the season. So we treated the pool as chlorine only. This summer, I have taken over due to multiple issues with the pool store and because I work from home now, I am able to tend the pool more closely (as was needed with the SLAM process).
That being said, what do I need to look for on our SWG to confirm replacement is needed? We have an IntelliChlor IC40. Attached is a pic of the control panel. If I don’t need to replace the cell, can I convert mid season by just adding the necessary salt? The first light doesn’t show here but is blinking green. The second light is blinking red. Also links to threads for basic care/knowledge are appreciated (I have already read the SWG article in the ABCs section)111721

Also -- follow this and report your results.
Pressing and holding the “More” button launches the System Status Mode. When the lights finish scrolling, the percent lights indicate hours of usage in 1,000s. For example, if the 40% light lights, that indicates 4,000 hours.

Version 3.1 on adds the ability to determine system temperature. Pressing the “More” button after the display shows 1,000s of hours of usage, will show temperature as follows:

Lights…………….....………Temperature
No LEDs………….…..………Below 30F
40%..........................36 to 45F
40% and 60%............46 to 55F
60%..........................56 to 65F
60% and 80%............66 to 75F
80%.........................76 to 85F
80 and 100%............86 to 95F
100%.......................96 to 99F
100% blinking……..….over 99F
All LEDs blinking……...Sensor bad

Press and hold the "More" button until the lights scroll. A percentage light will light up. Note which one.

Then, immediately press and release the "More" button again and note which percentage lights light up.

If the first two lights are alternating, that usually means that it's testing the water.

Do the lights continue to alternate red/green for more than a minute?

What is the manufacturing date from the sticker on the back of the cell?

You need a salt test. I suggest ordering the kit but in the interim you can take a sample to a pool store. It will at least give you a ball park answer.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.