Jsf721

Jun 24, 2022
Long Island, NY
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Ok so based own the fact I’m going to diy the install I’m going RJ60. Thanks for the advice.

For those that have the RJ60 or any swg I guess (assuming not a brand specific issue. Correct me if I’m wrong) how has your PH reacted ? How often do you need to correct PH ? Does that throw off Alkalinity ?

I’m only at the pool weekends and wonder if I need a perfect balance CO2 system to keep it in spec ? Anyone have one that can report on its function and if you would buy again.

Thanks

If you are currently using liquid chlorine then when changing to a SWCG the acid demand for pH control should be the same.
Any time you add MA to lower pH it will have some effect on the TA value.

Reactions: proavia
If you are currently using liquid chlorine then when changing to a SWCG the acid demand for pH control should be the same.
Any time you add MA to lower pH it will have some effect on the TA value.
I’m using pucks currently and the CYA climbing as tbe season progresses is my issue. Don’t want to trade the high cya for a PH issue.

I’m using pucks currently and the CYA climbing as tbe season progresses is my issue. Don’t want to trade the high cya for a PH issue.
You will have to add MA to control pH - every pool is different - some are very stable with a TA of 60-80 and others need more MA is you run waterfalls or spillover from spa to pool.

Reactions: Jsf721
Once you get the TA in the 60-70 range, pH rise should minimize and you should be able to keep it in the 7's with only weekend visits. While every pool is different, this should work for you. If it doesn't you could add a pH dosing system. That could come with its own issues - so try controlling TA to within the 60-ish range and see how it goes.

Reactions: HermanTX and Jsf721
Have many pools with SWCG and lots have the RJ series. They are all over the place as some don't rise much while others do and it's not necessarily better or worse with a given TA as was stated above, no two pools are the same so they all do their thing the way they want. You'll be OK with once a week as lots of my clients don't know a lick about the pool and it's only me doing the MA. In one week it won't get much out of hand fron what I see on a weekly basis.

Reactions: Jsf721
We are blessed with pool friendly fill water and lots of also pool friendly rain here. I added MA *once* last year, before a party, on the off chance the 8 Ph was going to bother any kids eyes. It never bothers ours.

Reactions: HermanTX and Jsf721
Even keeping my TA=50 ppm, I still have to add MA once a week to lower pH. Of course my pool is only a couple years old so I believe the plaster still has an effect on the pH. When I had my AG pool, I was able to keep my TA=70 and the pH was always rock solid at 7.6. As stated above, every pool is different.

Reactions: HermanTX