SWG size? opinion?

Jun 8, 2018
Clarksville/TN
About to pull trigger on a AGP, question in regards to swg size.
I have been told to get a bigger SWG than what comes in normal package(usually are underrated?) Anyway, The one that they (pool store) say i need is rated up 25,000 gal. (Astral e25), the bigger one is rated for 35,000gal. (Astral e35). Pool will hold about 19,000 gal.
If it makes a difference, both of these operate a minimum of 4,100ppm of salt.
I'm already at the upper end of my budget, and the difference is about 300.00. Not alot after a few thousand right, but trimming some fat here and there to add else where. Is there a real need for the larger one?

You will need to run the 25K version about 16 hours per day in the summer.

The 35 K version about 10 hours per day.

With a VS pump, not a big deal. With a single speed pump, a big deal. Cost of electricity starts to matter.

I assume If I set the Pump and SWG to run (on low) for 10 hours a day, that would keep chlorine up and water filtered adequately??

The Astralpool e25 will produce 25 grams (approx 1.59 oz) of chlorine gas per hour when set to full output.

So for a 19000 gallon pool, using pool math this equates to a rise of FC of about 1.5ppm.

Most people seem to lose around 4 to 5 ppm of FC on sunny days with no bather load.

So you would need to run the SWG at full output for 3Hrs to replenish this lost FC due to UV loss.

On cooler overcast days you could wind it's output back to allow for less loss of FC due to the decreased UV.

My pool is around 10000 gals. I actually up-sized my Astralpool SWG to the e45 model.

Currently winter over here in Australia - so the sun is low and most days are overcast.

I actually switch the SWG cell off for 2 to 3 days at a time and then have it on minimum for a day or two and my FC is always hanging around at the correct level. My pump, SWG and filtration are only running for 4 hours total per day. My FC loss on some days is so low that I cannot measure the loss over 24hrs.

When summer eventually hits I will have plenty of reserve in the SWG so I will be running my pump & filtration longer but the SWG at low to mid drive levels which in theory should extend the life of the cell.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.