SWG recomendation

striperday

Apr 14, 2020
Virginia
I have a 12 X 24 Intex pool with the factory SWG system. I installed a Deluxe Thru Wall Skimmer a few years ago which has worked great. I am going to install another skimmer this spring before I open the pool which will be located on the opposite corner. I am also going to install another exhaust port in the pool. I plumbed my pool last year with 1 1/2" PVC which has worked great. My pool pump went bad late last September so I closed the pool with full intentions in buying another pool pump but also wanted one that pumped more water than the one I have. If I remember correctly the one I have now is an Intex .75HP. I would also like to order a better SWG than the factory setup. In the summer time I cant keep the pool chlorinated without running the SWG 24 hours a day. I'm using the correct amount of Stabilizer and Salt and I also clean the SWG at least three times a year by soaking with Vinegar which works great by the way but it seems the SWG will just not keep up. Regardless my SWG is also probably wore out and could also be replaced.

Long story short I would like to have a recommendation from you guys that may have already been down this road, on a larger pump size which can handle 2 water exhaust ports on the pool thru a 1 1/2" line. I would also like to have a recommendation on a better SWG that can handle the extra flow and be a little more efficient than the Intex brand. Thanks a million!

About the swg- which size do u have? There is a 7k gallon & a 15k gallon one. Your pool volume looks to be right around 7k gallons which means the 15k unit should be fine. I am curious if you have ever done an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to rule out a nascent algae problem. That’s the first step when your swg doesn’t seem to be keeping up. I run 2 intex swg’s - a 15k & a 7k gal unit on my 26k gal pool w/ a 1.5 hp single speed pump & have never had to run over 10 hrs to keep above 7ppm & That’s only in the peak of the southern summer.
The larger 15k gal unit should be plenty for your pool & is a few hundred dollars less expensive than other more permanent swgs.
If money is of no consequence or you are planning on upgrading to a permanent pool in the near future a more robust swg may be helpful but remember you can’t ignore theABCs of Pool Water Chemistry ,
Recommended Levels
or fight an algae problem w/ a swg no matter the size.
Here is a good comparison of brands, their outputs, & average prices etc.
It’s recommended to get a cell rated for 2x’s your pool volume so for you that would be a 15k gal rated cell.

Reactions: newdude
Interesting. So if I understand you correctly if I see signs of algae the SWC will not produce chlorine appropriately? Just for the record I check my levels with 6 way test strips that I refresh by buying new ones every Spring. It must also be understood that I'm pool stupid so If my question seems like I'm being funny I'm really not.

Interesting. So if I understand you correctly if I see signs of algae the SWC will not produce chlorine appropriately
First off, the only dumb question is one that isn’t asked. :)

the SWG doesn’t know anything. It just chugs along doing it’s thing regardless of chemistry. If you have an algae problem it will do it’s regular thing and it’s up to you to clear up the extra.

You will need toSLAM Process to get rid of your algae.
Just for the record I check my levels with 6 way test strips that I refresh by buying new ones every Spring
We call them guess strips. You might as well just dip your finger in the pool and taste it. You’ll have about as good of a chance as getting it right. The strips change color and continue to change color. Which one was right ?

The corner stone of knowing your chemistry is a reliable test kit. You will need a k-2006C or a Tf-100 from tfteatkits.com. It’s a small investment to protect your very large investment. Plus it’s only 1/3 the cost of your average trip to the pool store if you’re having problems. Get the kit and take ownership of your pool. It’s easy peasy and we will guide you until it clicks. Please seeABCs of Pool Water Chemistry to get started.

Ask away at any stage. We have nothing to sell you but goodwill. And there is truckloads of good will and wonderful folks here.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Ok Thanks!. So your saying maybe my chlorine level's are fine but my test method (Strips) is broke. Great I can fix this now! Will algae kill my chlorine levels? The reason I ask is because I was pouring algaecide last year to clear up some algae problems. Could that be one of the reason I didn't have chlorine showing on my sticks? I mean it would run the SWC all night and the next day there would be nothing at all showing on the test strip.

So your saying maybe my chlorine level's are fine but my test method (Strips) is broke
The test strip method is ‘broke’ so you don’t actually know your chlorine levels to know what’s good/bad. Which opens the door real wide for algae to move in.
The reason I ask is because I was pouring algaecide last year to clear up some algae problems
Algecide can only prevent algae. It does zero to kill algae. And most algecides use copper as an algae detergent which adds new and improved problems.
I mean it would run the SWC all night and the next day there would be nothing at all showing on the test strip
Your SWG produces chlorine, which does its job and kills algae and all the other nasties. But the SWG produces a finite amount which in this case probably doesn’t come close. Your FC gets eaten up and you are back to zero while the bulk of the algae runs free. Get a test kit. If you add 4ppm daily of regular bleach (no chloromax, scents, or splash less), you will keep the growth in check so it won’t be getting worse while the test kit is on its way. Use PoolMath for your calculations. Set it to bleach for now and ignore the SWG setting.

You’ll have a few days to review theSLAM Process and hatch a plan. Keep us posted !!

Will my pool has been out of service since last September due to my pump going bad. It presently has two foot of water in it and 6" of that water is frozen solid and covered in snow. I live in Southwest, Virginia. So I'm going to order the K-2006C test kit. I am also going to order the Blue Wave NE6183 Pool Pump which is a two speed and 1.5 PH. I am hoping this is a good fit for my pool. Do you have a model number on that Intex SWG?

@mdragger will be back with a model # for you.

it’s good that we have time to hatch a plan for the spring. First up is the pump that will get you moving again (and you have covered already). Next we can start with a new SWG, or hold off to see if it has any life left and be ready to purchase if needed.

Some cliff notes ofABCs of Pool Water Chemistry after we get the water clear upon opening. You (or the SWG) will add chlorine daily, but UV from the sun will wipe it out quickly. So we use a ‘stabilizer’ (CYA, cyanuric acid) to protect the chlorine long enough to do its thing. Some CYA is good and needed. The problem lies in where people inadvertently add too much CYA with either shock or pucks. Much more chlorine is needed at high levels of CYA to accomplish the same sanitizing and algae starts to grow exponentially. *circles back to the test kit*. With the proper test kit, you will know your CYA level which either isn’t on the strips at all, or isn’t even close to accurate if it is there. Once you know your CYA level you can dose accordingly as per theFC/CYA Levels. Print that out. It is the cornerstone of our cornerstone and the foundation of being trouble free.

The only way to remove CYA is to drain or do a fresh water exchange. We very well may need to address that when the time comes also, to bring you down to manageable levels. Once everything is in line, we fire up your SWG and it chugs along doing your daily dosing for you. There is some trial and error to get it set right, but we will help you there as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If you’re not sure which one u have currently the small 7k gallon one has two similar sized cells & the large 15k gallon one has one small cell & one large cell.
If it is the design above (new style)
The new style usually lasts a few years. They also have a 2 yr warranty if that may help. There’s a guy on here that runs the older style on his inground pool & has had those running forever - hes been very careful about his chemistry & cleaning the cells without damaging them.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.