SWG Question

Ronson_321

May 12, 2020
Los Angeles
I started using my Intelliclor IC40 this week after having stopped using it a few years ago. Without doubt this is the best way to chlorinate one's pool - no idea what I was thinking when I stopped using it - I suspect that in my ignorance adding pucks to plastic floating things just seemed easier at the time !

By trial-and-error I seem to be maintaining FC of 6 by running the IC40 at 40% for 10 hours a day. Basic math tells me I should get the same result with 5 hours at 80%. Are there any pro or cons in running the FC40 for a shorter time at a higher % in terms of unit longevity or other factors? the IC40 has its own timer so can be set for a subset of the pumps runtime.

How long do you need to run the pump each day to skim the surface? As long as that meets the minimum run time to generate your FC, go with that and see how it goes. The IC40 does not care if it is run at 10% for 10 hours or 100% for 1 hour.

How long do you need to run the pump each day to skim the surface? As long as that meets the minimum run time to generate your FC, go with that and see how it goes. The IC40 does not care if it is run at 10% for 10 hours or 100% for 1 hour.
Thanks. I currently have the pump on for 14 hours a day at 2000 rpm. Probably a bit longer than needed but it seems quite an energy efficient pump and I like the water feature it drives.

Then I would run the SWCG 14 hours per day, or at least close to that. Just adjust the % generation to meet your needs.

It means in ideal conditions that it will last for 10k hours of being on. 50% of 12 hours pump run time is 6 hours off the SWG lifespan. 25% is 3 hours off the lifespan and so on.

@Newdude if it matters, I expected my 10 year old SWG Pentair Intellichlor IC40 to stop producing chlorine for me several years ago and it is still producing chlorine. I even bought the replacement already. It is lying in wait for the quit.
Hope mine does the same - I'm a bit surprised its still working as its not been used for over 5 years and my now-fired pool guy kept turning it on even though there was negligible salt in the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.