SWG or removing

Acmintn

Feb 28, 2021
Alabama
We are currently in the process of replacing our pool liner. We have a few issues with the pump system so I asked about repairs to it. The installer said he doesn’t work on salt systems, doesn’t recommend them, etc. He also said the liner won’t last as long due to salt.
I am torn now on what to do. I will be honest and say I am pretty clueless with my pool. I don’t feel like I understand it well. Our patio furniture is very rusted now (3 years old), we have replaced multiple things on the salt system (I think the pump twice) in the 3 years we have been here. I just wonder if cost wise it is better to remove the SWG. He mentioned changing out the sand when they replace the liner. Then said unless the inside is too damaged from the salt and you need a new one. We have been in this house 3 years (pool was already here) and I just don’t know how often things like this need to be replaced. Just trying to weigh my options.

Welcome to tfp 😁
I’m sure others will be along shortly w/ plenty of great advice so i’ll just start here:
Improper chemistry will do more damage than salt. In general unfortunately people think if they have a salt pool it’s maintenance free so they neglect other parameters which causes problems & then they blame the salt. This is a mistake, all the swg does is add a steady amount of chlorine for u period.
A salt pool is a chlorine pool -
Water, high levels of chlorine, or crazy ph will lead to corrosion on everything metal eventually & liner problems with or without salt.
If you stay within Recommended Levels
You should have no more issues than anyone else.
Every other form of chlorine adds salt to your pool water so many people have almost as much salt in their “chlorine” pool as those w/ a swg in just a couple years.
Just check out the effects of adding all these forms of chlorine 👇
0D52D349-0F29-4607-A50F-CF02F2D9D0D0.png0951DC66-921F-47CF-8BED-078E7B383258.pngD396860D-94C1-4B1A-8288-631C1D985F29.png88AE73EF-33FE-4075-B09D-0E74D7F371D8.png61E6DCE8-ECBB-415A-9480-E17146F30B15.pngD9A44FA3-E73E-4A1F-A89F-A0749F9DF0CB.png
Here’s a good article to help u decide how u want to sanitize your pool going forward

To get the most life from your pool equipment & new liner you should start off on the right foot w/ a good proper test kit
Like the tf-100 or Taylor k-2006
Test Kits Compared
& Get a good understanding of the ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry
If you decide to replace your swg & u have automation you may want to stick w/ that brand. If that’s not an issue many folks here are happy w/ their circupool swg’s as their warranty isn’t affected by diy installs.
Anymore ?’s just ask. There are plenty more knowledgeable folks here than me that can shed more light on things. It’s all about pool owner education & maintenance based on accurate testing here. Glad to have u 😁

Reactions: mknauss
A,

Welcome to TFP. You've come to the right place. We have 100% volunteer experts and experienced pool enthusiasts here to help you learn and implement TFP methods that are proven, simple, and cheap. Also we sell nothing so the advice is never slanted to get you to buy anything.

There are still a lot of pool builders and installers that do high quality work and know nothing about salt. And it's easy to blame salt for anything that goes wrong. If you keep good water balance salt or no salt your equipment will be fine. If you don't keep good water balance your equipment will suffer early failures salt or no salt.

We have inexpensive Costco recliner pool furniture and have had no problems with it after several years of chlorine pool and several years of salt pool. Our friends across the street have the identical pool built same time as mine and same brand/model equipment. A few years ago they added salt like we did. They use a pool service I know to be ignorant of basic water balance. I've never had to replace anything and my pool finish looks great. They rust out furniture ever 18 months and had their pool heater fail 2 years ago that caused massive stains that their service said needed an expensive acid wash. They also said the heaters always fail every 4-5 years. Are their early failures due to salt? Or the fact my pool has been balanced with TFP recommendations and theirs has not.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.