SWG or BBB for brand new pool?

Jun 6, 2020
Knoxville, TN
We just reserved our pool which will be here at the end of the month. It's a 30' round and we had the option of the FROG mineral system or SWG. Our salesman said they highly discouraged the SWG even though our steel wall pool says it's rated for it, just because the salt will EVENTUALLY corrode something over time, wether it be the steel walls or the pump. (We got a Cypress LX and the brochure says it's approved for saltwater, but they scared us by staying that even though our pool comes with a rare lifetime warranty, it doesn't include rust.) He made the FROG system sound great due to the simplicity and 'silky water' feeling just like a salt system can provide. We went ahead and chose that option, but after the research and posts I've read here I'm thinking I want to skip hooking it up altogether. My question is, should we use the BBB method or go ahead and get the SWG instead since it won't change our price? The thought of rust or corrosion scares me on a brand new $8k pool, but I hate to pass it up if it's not as damaging as they make it out to be, especially since I know they are expensive and it's being offered to us as an inclusion. I really like the idea of water that feels 'silky' and I know people rave about SWG because of that, but can that also be achieved with BBB? I'm so indecisive about this right now.

Smile, nod at the nice pool builder when he tries to talk you out of it and then demand the SWG. The SWG will give you a nice silky feeling without the downsides. The frog system will not get much love on this site. Here are just a few threads to take a look at...

Reactions: Jamie Languedoc
Kill the Frog, insist on the salt system.

Before you run down to WalMart and buy BBB.... We refrain from using the"BBB" moniker anymore as most pools never (or seldom) need the last two "B"'s. Folks heard BBB and ran out and stocked up on Bleach, Borax and Baking Soda, generally unnecessarily. Most pools, once stabilized only need chlorine and muratic acid. If you go with teh salt system, yours will only need acid.

How much Pool School have you read? Start with these:

Welcome to TFP!!

Reactions: Jamie Languedoc
Pool builders do enjoy blaming every bit of corrosion in a salt system on the salt, while the corrosion on other systems is always completely natural or the fault of the user. The truth is that the acidic trichlor used in the Frog, or any other tablet feeder, is way more likely to corrode steel than the minor salinity found in a salt pool.

From someone who has used the Frog, an SWG, and manual liquid chlorination: the Frog does NOT provide anything close to the comfort and clarity of water managed to TFPC with or without an SWG. Following the FC/CYA Levels along with other TFP recommended levels and testing creates a pleasant swimming experience, no matter the source of the chlorine.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.