Swg on above ground pool

Jennk2

Silver Supporter
Jul 8, 2019
Athens ny
Well, after years of debate we finally did it and are getting a pool! I’ve been researching on and off for awhile and am leaning towards adding a SWG. We are getting a 24 ft round pool, installer is trying to talk me into the Simple Salt System but I have not read good things about this system. Are there specific SWG for above ground pools or are they the same as in ground? He’s telling me the warranty would be voided if using one for inground pools. I’m wondering if we should try the first season without one and then can add next year if we think it’s a good idea. It won’t be installed until mid July at this point anyways.

Ask to see the written warranty.

All SWGs work the same. What differs is the quality and reliability of the electronic controls and the cell capacity. The AGP SWGs are usually undersized with poor controls. We recommend the SWG cell be rated for 2X the pool water volume.

How many gallons in your pool and what is the chlorine output of the Simple Salt system?

I believe pool volume is around 13,500 gal? I’m not sure of the chlorine output of the simple salt system. We did everything remotely and I’m waiting on paperwork. I have read that most above ground SWG are rated for a lower volume and thought it was suggested getting one that is capable of twice the volume so I’m assuming that means it will be an inground option. I will have to check out the warranty information once it comes to see. Another question, should I go with a 2 speed pump from the beginning since I will most likely get the SWG ?

Last edited:
2 speed pump is always better to save energy. You rarely need the full speed.

I just installed a Circupool EDGE-25 on my 11k gallon AGP last weekend, and it's working great so far. Still dialing it in, 25% for 4 hrs/day is a bit too much with the cover on. So I think I'll have more than enough capacity for when the pool is uncovered in full sun.

Hi Jennk2,
Check your pool warranty but if it is anything like mine it is pretty much useless. My not only is prorated but it also requires to disassemble and ship it back for service/replacement.
No way I would ever do that save for some catastrophic failure in a season one or two.
As for SWG options, just pick something that works for your water volume and don't worry if it's "designed" for AGP or in-ground pool. They all work the same.
Be mindful that some manufacturers offer almost no warranty if unit is installed by customer itself.
I also have 24' round pool and I just purchased RJ-45 SWG.
The thought about output is: if you pick up unit rated the same as your pool volume, you will have to run it at 100% and have pump on 24h/day.
That's why we recommend getting unit at least 2 times the pool volume.
I decided to go 3 x to hopefully prolong cell life as well as having more flexibility with pump run time.
Of course you want at minimum 2 speed pump.

The SWG does not know or care if the water it is treating comes from an AGP or IG pool.

Thanks for all the information. We may start out this season without it and see how it goes since we will get a late start and add one next year. I really like the idea of the SWG but would rather not spend that much more this season with the cost of the pool and having to redo the deck as well.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.