SWG not working - turning off

texasgirl2009

Gold Supporter
May 31, 2020
Dallas, TX
today I went to test our pool routinely and my chlorine level was zero! We had been out of town week before last, but when I had checked 5 days ago it was at 6.
I checked and our SWG (Aquarite Turbocell) was not generating and said "check cell" and "check salt". Salt level in pool (checked with strips) was 2450. I added a bag of salt and ran the filter. We had just checked the cell about 3 weeks ago and was fine so didn't open it again (because of the position of our cell its pretty hard to get on and off).

So then when I turn off the SWG and turn it back on, it initially works, says it is generating and gives me an instant salt reading.
After about 1 minute, I hear it click off, it stops generating, and the "check salt' and "check cell" lights go on.
the diagnostic readings are -
100P
AL-0
r1.59
E(?)15

I can't figure out if the low salt is the problem and I just need to wait longer for the filter to run and the SWG to 'see' the salt?
would it be shutting off due to that?
Pool and all equipment including cell were new in April. (but we already had our hayward filter pump fail and need to be replaced a month ago)
thanks

Sounds like you have low salt..Test strips aren't really close and since yours was reading 2450 and the SWG 2300 sounds like you need a lot more salt. Most systems run between 3000 and 4000.
When I used strips before I got the Taylor 1766 the strips read 2400 and I added 8 more bags of salt..Strips still said 2400 :)

Get the Taylor 1766 and see what your show, but hopefully the only issues is you need more salt :)

Staying out of the diagnostics, as I don't know that cell. Just want to caution: don't run an SWG immediately after adding salt. Allow at least 24 hours with pump running for the salt to mix in well. "Pockets" of water, some with higher salinity, others with less salinity are not good for an SWG and/or its operation, which you might have just experienced. I like to go even longer, just to play it safe, like 48 hours. This is much more important when adding salt for the first time (converting from non-swg to swg), but I'd still use that guideline myself with my swg pool...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.