NYC Area
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hello TFP world. You all were so helpful to me in my first year of home ownership learning the basics and helping me to choose a heater in year two. In year three I depended upon a “pool company” to recommend a SWG and man have they been the opposite of helpful to me at every turn.

They literally sold me a unit, told me to set it and forget it, and 2 SLAMs later I now realize the SWG isn’t a set and forget situation. Now that I have had my first week of clear water I have come to realize from reading in here I was sold an undersized SWG. I have a 15,000 pool and was sold a Pentair IntelliChlor 20.

I have my CYA at 70. Now they I got my pool back to Clear at end of Day 1 I had a chlorine of 3.5

I ran my SWG on 60% output for 10 hours and only raised my Chlorine to 4.0 over night. During day light I lost 2 PPM and now am back at 2.0 as I turn my SWG on tonight. I increase the production to 80 % and will re measure tomorrow.
How can I find out how much chlorine should be produced by my SWG at varying percentages? From your experience will I be able to make 2ppm + of chlorine over night? If I need to run the SWG at 100% over night (or longer) am I reducing the life expectancy of the SWG?

Should I just buy a bigger SWG next year?
Thanks!

At 100% setting, your SWCG adds 0.2 ppm FC per hour run to your pool.

So to add 3 ppm FC per day, you need to run the pump for 15 hours. That should be about your normal FC usage per day.

The SWCG has about 10000 hours of generating capacity. Does not matter if you set it at 10% for 10 hours or 100% for 1 hour, both equate to 1 hour of generating time.

I,

Your cell, in your size pool, will generate about 5.8 ppm of FC, when running at 100% and for 24 hours. That is only .24 ppm per hour at 100%

So running at 60% for 10 hours is only.. 1.44 ppm of FC

I'd start running at 100% and for the hours it takes to make the chlorine your pool uses.

When the cell you have goes bad, then replace the cell with an IC40..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.