SWG lower FC levels bad for health?

susa- what's a Simpool system? It sounds like an automatic MA system. Does it have a sensor so that it only dispenses what is needed? Or is it like The Liquidator in that it supplies a continuous amount? How much do they cost?

dschlic1- I'm not sure I will be replacing the filters. Friendly pool guy has suggested it because he's seen many of these fail (clog up to the point of water and debris bypassing it and flowing back into the pool) and because larger units require less frequent cartridge cleaning. Since I'm likely to replace the pump, he suggests it makes sense to replace the filter at the same time, but I'm leaning towards "if it ain't broke...".

Thank you all for answering all my questions. Sorry there are so many. Here's one more:

Can the Liquidator be used with a variable speed pump? I've seen some posts where it is suggested that it is not optimal. Do you have to run the pump at higher speeds to get the chlorine out, thereby negating some of the energy savings of a VS pump?

I'll tackle the LQ question. Whether the LQ will work with a variable speed pump all depends on your suction head at low speeds. For most of the pools the suction head at very low speeds isn't enough to get the LQ to flow at sufficient rates to keep the pool sanitized so you have to run the pump at a higher speed longer. An injection pump would work in those situations.

I got my test kit yesterday! Here's what I've tested so far:
pH- over 8.2
CYA- ~110
(Leslies Pools got CYA 110 and pH 8.0, plus got TA-130, CH-400, plus TDS and Phosphates readings- oh and 0 FC of course)
(BTW- the guy at Leslie's thought I was an idiot for wanting to use liquid chlorine to shock the pool. When I politely insisted I didn't want to use their methods or products, I suddenly stopped getting helped even though there was only one other customer in the store. I went to Lowe's to buy a brush, leaf skimmer and hose nozzle, instead- all for about 1/2 of what it would have cost at Leslie's. Oh, and Lowe's has 2 gallons of liquid chlorine for about $7.)

So I'm thinking I need to first lower CYA. Is this done by replacing water? What's the best way to drain water? If I want to get CYA down to about 50, does that mean I should drain half the water out, then replace? Any chance of having water table issues?

Once I get the CYA down, I'm thinking it's time to lower the pH. Then it's time to shock. Does that sound right to you?

Thanks!

There are many ways. The simplest is to use a garden hose as a syphon. To do this you fill the garden hose with water, seal one end temporarily, put the other end in the pool, put the sealed end somewhere outside the pool and below the water level, and open the end. Another way is to use a sump pump or cover pump to pump water out of the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.