Ofallon, IL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
New(ish) pool owner here. We had an inground pool installed 2 years ago. We hire a pool company to open & close our pool each year. This year the pool was opened on 4/15. On 4/23 the salt generator tripped the breaker. First, we replaced the breaker, which didn’t fix the problem. Then we called an electrician out on 4/24 to test everything in the panel and he said it was the transformer for the SWG. We called our pool company to replace it on 4/25. They have been backed up and 3-1/2 weeks later still haven’t made it out.
We purchased a new transformer and replaced it, but still having the same issue. We cleaned the salt cell and hooked it back up. Still tripping the breaker.
When we turn the SWG on, sometimes it trips immediately and sometimes it takes 10-15 seconds. Any ideas on what we should try next?
Pentair IC40 SWG

Is the pump and the SWG on the same GFCI breaker?

More likely your pump motor beginning to get corrosion from a small internal leak tripping the GFCI breaker then the SWG transformer failing. I wonder what the electrician saw that made him say the transformer and not the pump?

If you have another breaker you can power the SWG with then move the wiring. And run your pump 24/7 for safety.

See if as I expect the GFCI breaker will trip with just the pump on it.

There is no requirement for the IntelliChlor Power Center to be on a GFCI CB. You can put in a regular CB.

Show us pics of your CB panel and the Power Center and wiring.

Put in your signature EasyTouch. It would have made this discussion simplier.

More to come...

1716133285559.png

1716133346178.png

Last edited:
It is hard for me to see all your wiring.

It looks like the SWG is wired for 120V through Line2/Load2 of the filter pump relay and some other device is wired to Line1/Load1 of the relay.

Is your pump VS?

It looks like the yellow and black wires go to the LOAD2 screw. The white and blue wires go to the neutral connection on the CB.

It is not clear to me that the black wire to the LINE2 screw goes back to the same CB the white and blue wires connect to.

DISCONNECT ALL POWER TO THE PANEL BEFORE YOU PUT YOUR FINGERS IN AND TOUCH ANYTHING.

The SWG transformer does not require a GFCI CB. You can put in a 15A regular CB and then connect the white and blue wires to the neutral bar.