Swg for bromine hot tub

abycat

Jan 24, 2016
grande prairie
Hey guys i have a question. So i have a 4600 litre tub that i run a chlorine generator in. I was going to switch too bromine for a bit too check it out. It's commercial so i drain it every two weeks and scrub it and refill. Now my swg uses a chemtrol 250 with a ph and orp probe to turn on the swg and inject ma. Can i use it with bromine as a sanitizer? It works great as chlorine just wanted to try bromine. Cost isn't a big deal since i run the pool and tub trouble free way so my budget leaves me with a bunch of money to play with stuff. Thanks guys!

Hi Abycat,

In my original post, I completely misunderstood what you where asking (what you wrote and what I wrote, and what my mind was thinking were not in sync). so I've removed most of my message and left the only relevant part. the link below.

There's a pretty good bromine post here: https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/84-How-do-I-use-Bromine-in-my-spa-(or-pool). it probably doesn't actually answer your question though.

I'm not clear what you're asking, because it sounds like you're asking if you can use your SWG to produce bromine, which you certainly can NOT. The SWG converts the Sodium Chloride in the salt to Chlorine Gas. Bromine is something completely different
What?? Do you have any idea what bromine is or how it works?

To OP:
Yes, you can use an SWG with bromine. All you need is to add sodium bromide to the water to create a bromide bank and boom, bromine tub. The SWG will create chlorine which will react instantly with the bromide to create bromine. Simple enough. I'm not sure if the ORP sensor will work correctly, you will want to measure the bromine levels often until you are sure the system is working correctly. Also if you use non-chlorine shock know that it will 'recharge' the bromine so you will be shocking the tub when adding it. Just something to keep in mind. It will also not be buffered, but since this is a commercial tub I'm guessing you aren't using CYA anyway so bromine might be more comfortable. Feel free to give it a try, since you drain regularly anyway if it doesn't work for you just drain it and start back with chlorine.

What?? Do you have any idea what bromine is or how it works?

To OP:
Yes, you can use an SWG with bromine. All you need is to add sodium bromide to the water to create a bromide bank and boom, bromine tub. The SWG will create chlorine which will react instantly with the bromide to create bromine. Simple enough. I'm not sure if the ORP sensor will work correctly, you will want to measure the bromine levels often until you are sure the system is working correctly. Also if you use non-chlorine shock know that it will 'recharge' the bromine so you will be shocking the tub when adding it. Just something to keep in mind. It will also not be buffered, but since this is a commercial tub I'm guessing you aren't using CYA anyway so bromine might be more comfortable. Feel free to give it a try, since you drain regularly anyway if it doesn't work for you just drain it and start back with chlorine.

Thanks for your reply! Yeah ive been reading about bromine and understand the bank. Just didn't see any concrete evidence that swg could recharge it. I guess orp is orp no matter what is in it i just have to find the sweet spot like i do with chlorine. I might just try it cause if i don't like it or its more of a pain ill just drain it and run chlorine. I do run my tub fairly high fc. Actually around 3-5. And you are correct no cya. Stupid laws say i need at least 3ppm in muy tub. I'll let you guys know how it works out!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.