SWG doesnt appear to be working

Apr 28, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
Is there a way to test a SWG to see how if it's working? This is a used SWG that the company sent me because the original was still under warranty, but apparently the company doesn't make SWGs. I have a feeling that the SWG has never worked. The company claims that I have too high of phosphates or nitrates and that is why the SWG cant keep up. Does this sound bogus or legit? I have run the SWG on turbo, which means its running at 100% for 10 hours a day and if I don't add chlorine the pool turns green. Any help would be appreciated.

Sounds bogus in that the phosphate and nitrates really do not affect the operation the SWG.

If there is anything in the pool growing (sounds like you said you have algae), then there is no way the SWG will keep up.
Do the Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if you have something in the water. Then follow the SLAM Process process to eradicate it.

What test kit are you using?

Would need more details on the SWG to diagnose. Can you measure a FC difference from directly in front of a return jet?

Bob,

You have a 32K pool and my gut says you have a 40K SWCG.. That all by itself will make the SWCG strain to keep up.. If you have anything growing in your pool, even if you can't see it, your SWCG does not stand a chance of generating chlorine faster than it is being consumed. Assuming a 40K SWCG, 10 hours a day is not near enough run time, even if you have no algae!!!

We always recommend a SWCG that is 2 x the volume of your pool.

What SWCG do you have???

Thanks,

Jim R.

I'm using the Taylor k2006 test kit. Yes I do have algae, however the SWG was struggling to keep up prior to the algae. I could try to measure fc from the jets. I have sprinklers, so I can turn everything else off and have the water only going through the sprinklers. Great idea, I would have never thought about that. Should I compare that fc to the entire pool fc?

- - - Updated - - -

Jim,

Its a swg from frog pool. You are correct its a 40K. Im thinking about replacing it, because it's never worked correctly since the day I got it. Is there a particular brand that you recommend?
Thanks for your help,
Bob

- - - Updated - - -

domct203,

Yes I use the Taylor k 2006 FAS DPD Test Kit. It's rated for a 40k pool.

Bob

- - - Updated - - -

I'm not sure if I answered those questions right or not. I hit the quick reply.

Bob,

Any SWCG that is rate for a 60K pool will work better than what you have now.

If you have no automation system than I would go with a CircuPool unit.. See this comparison chart... Compare and Review Saltwater Chlorine Generator Prices and Features

I would go with an RJ-60 or RJ-60 plus...

BUT... there is no sense even buying another SWCG until you have taken care of the algae you currently have.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Algae spores are microscopic, by the time you see green there are millions of them.

I would guess that you have been fighting algae longer than you realize.

Your SWG is already marginally sized for your pool when it’s “clean”, stress the water with a big pool party or algae and it’s never going to be able to keep up.

As others have mentioned, it’s SLAM time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.