SWG Cleaning

jtburf

Jun 8, 2015
Houston, TX
All, I needed to clean my 4 month old SWG, so after a couple YouTube Videos I knocked it out in 30 mins.

Just an FYI for you all make sure to have your tools on hand before you start.

Get a SWG stand so you can actually clean it.
I have a strap wrench so that made removing fittings a breeze.
I did have a quick trip to the local shop as I did not want to wait on Amazon for Silicon lube, some Muriatic acid and the stand.

Make sure to kick your breakers off, I had to move my filter so I drained and disconnected and out of the way she went. Next I loosened the SWG nuts and managed to get it up. I did apply some Silicone lube to the threads of the stand and SWG as Plastic to Plastic can get stuck. After mixing 1 cup of MA into 4 cups of water I poured the solution in and of course I needed a tad more so back to the counter I went.

I did find a piece of PVC glue in the SWG that broke off a fitting post filter 3/4" x 2"x 1/32 think. (Thanks Pool Crew). I allowed the unit to soak for the suggested 10 min's. Rinsed the SWG out very well and "Properly" disposed of the solution. Reassembly with fresh lube on all seals and used the strap wrench to get all fittings good and snugged up tight. Flipped the breakers back on then Pool Pump. allow your filter to vent and when it has a solid flow close the relief valve...

Double check for any leaks and I am allowing the system to run for an hour before I go back to my normal settings. Will see if I notice a different in the SWG settings with that PVC glue piece removed!!! Make sure you reset the check SWG light on your system and go back to enjoying a chemical free pool!!!

Total time 30 min's.

Scale of 1-10 of difficulty I give it a 3, having a strap wrench is a huge plus!!!

John

Did you actually see scaling in the cell that you could not knock out with a Popsicle stick?

Every time you acid wash a SWG cell, you shorten its life. Best to keep the pool balanced to avoid any scale build-up in the first place.

And your pool is not "chemical free" ;)
If you are not testing and balancing the pH, then that would be why you have scale build up.

Did you actually see scaling in the cell that you could not knock out with a Popsicle stick?

Every time you acid wash a SWG cell, you shorten its life. Best to keep the pool balanced to avoid any scale build-up in the first place.

And your pool is not "chemical free" ;)
If you are not testing and balancing the pH, then that would be why you have scale build up.
Did not notice any scale, that piece of PVC and a few blades of grass was all I saw. I will take note of the hazards of cleaning it for future reference. One thing the pool crew did in install was zap the control panel with 220V when it was set at 110V maybe that caused it to prematurely show a need for cleaning.

I know it is truly not chemical free. Pool is balanced. Not my first rodeo...

Thanks for the concern though.
John

The check cell light comes on at a regular interval based on generation time (roughly 3 months). It does not mean you have to clean it, it is just a reminder to inspect it and clean if needed. You can just reset the check cell light when it comes on if you are pretty sure there is no issue with the cell.

Reactions: jtburf
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.