SWG - Chlorine smell with 0 CC... ?

May 24, 2018
NB, Canada
Hi all,

Used our pool for the first time this season yesterday. Wife mentioned that she smelled chlorine quite a bit around the pool and on our bathing suits/towels afterwards. We had 3 bathers in the pool for less than an hour.

I was surprised by that. I quickly ran down to do a test a pH and FC test and got 7.5 and 5.0 - I did not do a CC test at that time but had done one the day prior along with a full test, which is below :

pH 7.5
FC 5.0
CC 0.0
CYA 70
TA 80
CH 320
BOR 35
Temp 81

The pool is crystal clear (it was SLAMED for 2 weeks and FC took 2 weeks to drift down to 5 so chlorine levels were elevated for a long time - nothing is living in that water!).

For CC test, the sample does not turn pink when I add the re-agent for CC so assume that means 0. I guess I should have done a CC test after smelling the chlorine and not relying on the previous day test?

Some people can smell the CC on their skin from the chlorine consuming their sweat, sunscreen, lotions, etc. It also is created by the chlorine consuming the fabric softeners and other product left on clothing and towels from them being in the washing machine.

I do not sense it in our pool, but everyone has different levels of sensitivity.

Reactions: thejeff
To be honest I did not smell it either, but my wife only mentioned it later so perhaps I wasn't paying attention. I will keep an eye and a nose on it and will immediately test for CC if I do smell it around the pool.

Nothing else I should be checking? I've been having very low FC consumption so I really don't feel like there's algae in the pool.

I would suspect you will test 0 CC even if you smell it. The pool water does not have the CC. The reaction of the pool water with the lotions, potions, and sweat on you and your clothing is creating the CC.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.