Layton. Utah
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
So a handful of years ago with our 16' round I tried out a SWG system.. seemed to work ok.. but after a little while, my diode that makes the gas was getting deposits on it pretty quick.. (seemed like i was cleaning it 2 or 3 times a week) Any ideas??? I just fill up from city water (we are kind of cheap water wise) plus I dont know if we have pool water delivery in utah. And even if we did, I would have to use city water to top it off, from evap, or back washing etc..

Also depends on the SWCG that was used. The SWCG's that have polarity reversal helps keep the cell clear of calcium, along with proper chemistry as Pat noted.

To try and understand why your SWG seems to be getting overwhelmed by scale we would need to see a full set of water test results from your TF-100 or Taylor K-2006C test kit. Can you post a set for us?
ok, ill get that when i get everything up and running.. I guess I am going to give it a whirl again with this new pool.. So it'll be a little while.

There are usually reports available for municipal water supplies. I did a quick search and found one for your area. Looks like you do have very high total hardness. Here's an excerpt from a 2019 water quality report in your area :

Water Softeners
Since the hardness of your water can range anywhere from 10 to 18 grains per gallon (or 171 to 308 parts per million), it is important to monitor the settings on your water softener regularly to make sure that you are treating your water properly.

This can cause deposits if water is not softened and water balance is not closely monitored. Not saying you can't use a salt system but you do have some special considerations. The full report is attached.

I hope this is helpful.

Chris

Attachments

• Layton ut water report.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
Yes its very hard.. I dont think you can soften water once in the pool can you??? I guess if you ran a softener in-line of you pump?? hahahahah

Otherwise.. looks like i have to stick with good ole chlorine... i got pretty good with my old pool of keeping it clean, yet not overly smelly.. But it was an everyday chem check

I'm not an expert on how to do it but we do have people like Marty and many other members that deal with hard water and are not cleaning their SWG anywhere near what you experienced.

Our water hardness fluctuates (based on dry and rainy season) between 8 and 17 gpg. I soak my cell maybe 1 time per year... maybe a bit longer. Certainly not nearly weekly or even monthly. I don’t have a water softener.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.