SWG and Bees

dfisher25

Jan 12, 2021
Roanoke, VA
Hello everyone. Just installed a pool this year and we are loving it. The only issue we are having is swarming bees hanging out to drink the salt water. These seem to be honey bees so I think someone close must have a honey operation going. They are friendly for the most part but I seem to get stung atleast once a weekend after stepping on one or putting my arm down. Kids are starting to get stung too. I have tried peppermint oil, which seems to work a little but it isn’t sustainable to keep up with. Does anyone else have this problem? Someone said pans of sand with salt water in other places give them somewhere else to go. Has anyone tried this? I really don’t want to use any lethal methods as bees are on the decline as it is. Thank you in advance!

oh don't get me started on bees...

I keep a small wading pool with a little solar fountain going just for the bees. it took a few years for them to learn, but they mostly leave the pool alone now. it helps to keep the pool covered as much as you can but of course you want to be swimming at the hotter time of day - just when they are wanting water. I can not just float around in my pool most of the time, gotta keep moving or I will get stung by something. LOL

breezy days also help, so maybe you could rig a big portable fan near the lounging area of pool, but then that makes you cold so...:scratch:

oh don't get me started on bees...

I keep a small wading pool with a little solar fountain going just for the bees. it took a few years for them to learn, but they mostly leave the pool alone now. it helps to keep the pool covered as much as you can but of course you want to be swimming at the hotter time of day - just when they are wanting water. I can not just float around in my pool most of the time, gotta keep moving or I will get stung by something. LOL

breezy days also help, so maybe you could rig a big portable fan near the lounging area of pool, but then that makes you cold so...:scratch:
I wonder if those mist sprayers that you setup around non-humid patios might help. A fire pit or a BBQ smoker setup to let the smoke blow their way might help deter them as well.

From what I have read on here, yes. And once they have locked onto your place they are directional and will tell the rest of the hive in their wiggly dance where your pool is and then you are hit. So if you can see what direction they fly which is usually bee line (pun intended) you can try to have water source between you and them to go to. If none then perhaps local bee keeper can locate if a wild hive and they usually take them if they can find it. If from a hive that some one has maybe you can talk to them about having a water source for their bees or they will keep coming to your free beverage center. I'm hoping with my new pool that we don't have this problem as bees are my kryptonite big time.

Our pool was non-saltwater last year and we had a bunch of bees hanging out on the spa spillway. The weather was drier then. We converted to salt this year and haven't seen them back. I attribute that to the very wet few months we've had lately, more than the chemistry.

I wonder if those mist sprayers that you setup around non-humid patios might help. A fire pit or a BBQ smoker setup to let the smoke blow their way might help deter them as well.
mister might work, smoke would work but might be more irritating to swimmers. I can't use misters out here as the evaporation creates horrible withe deposits on everything and you almost cant get it off glass. (also wastes water to my desert brain - even though a swimming pool is OK LOL)

I found that a side effect of the liquid solar pool cover I use is that it helps repel the bees that were visiting my pool. I still get a few but not nearly as many as before. I don't have a SWCG but my salt level is already around 3000ppm. Can't really tell if it does anything for reducing evaporation tho. YMMV.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.