SWCG Salt reading vs Test Strips

Jul 3, 2012
Gulf Coast, AL
Interesting, maybe coincidence, but my new generator is reading 5100 salt, too. Test strips (new) read about 4000. The generator is supposed to be a 15, but if I change to another T number in order to try to get the readings closer together, am I hurting anything? Should a reading be almost 1,000 off? 14K SW pool.

Neither the SWCG nor the Test Strips are all that accurate. Best to use a K1766 salt test kit.

Please fill out your signature with your pool and equipment information.

Test strips are not that accurate, they can easily be off by 500ppm or more. The SWG just uses conductivity of water as a measure of salt level which is really just an inference and not an exact measurement. It sounds like you have a Hayward setup. They probably have the most accurate method of detecting salinity using the various cell parameter but even they can be +/-400ppm.

You should not adjust the cell type setting to make the two numbers equal. The cell type setting affects more than just the salinity reading as it also sets current limits and high/low salinity limits.

As Marty said, get a K-1766 salinity test kit and you’ll get the most accurate, repeatable and reliable salinity number.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.