SWCG Questions

Hangman

Gold Supporter
Aug 4, 2017
Fort Pierce, Florida
Hello everyone,

I'm thinking about switching over to SWCG and I have a couple of questions/concerns.
Although my pool was sold as being designed for saltwater use, steel sides and resin structure components and a "50 year guarantee" I worry about corrosion.
And as my only option is to let my backwash water run onto my lawn, what about salt build up in the soil.
What say you?

Welcome to the forum!

SWCG is blamed for nearly all corrosion anywhere in the near vicinity of a pool. I suppose it happens, if you are really negligent. But, as long as you manage your water chemistry the members on this forum with SWCG have never reported any significant additional corrosion to anything.

Notice I said manage your water chemistry. The biggest culprit is pH. A SWCG typically drives your pH up. And you need to monitor that and manage it.

As far as salt buildup on your lawn -- does it rain were you live? If so, the buildup of salt will not occur due to dilution. Do you live near an ocean? I bet your soil is already pretty salty.

Nearly every member of this forum that has a SWCG would replace it immediately if it fails. Me included.

Take care.

I bought a home with a pool equipped with a swg that was bad from 3 years of sitting and no use. I started the tfp method using bleach and replaced the swg after a year. I wouldn't go back.

I had some difficulty with pH rising at first, but now have found the sweet spot for my TA and I haven't had to add any MA in about 6 weeks. Take your time finding the right balance. I started with the recommended levels in pool math, and then brought my TA down in increments of 5. It didn't take long to hit the sweet spot for me.

Corrosion isn't an issue but I have almost no underwater metal. If your handrails or ladders fit in underwater sockets I guess it's a possibility, but keep your pH in check and I doubt you'll have any problems. I don't worry about the salt on the grass, it is some of the best looking lawn I have!

Quit the solid chlorine and get the swg asap!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.