SWCG Installation

Litlat

Gold Supporter
May 31, 2019
Orange, CA
Hello All,
The RJ 60 arrived and I am beginning the installation process. I have read through their manual. We do not have an abundance of space for the cell. The easiest place to install it would be where I have drawn the arrow. I would just pull out all of the check valve plumbing (circled in yellow) and it would fit perfect. The flow switch would go on a pipe not shown in that picture.
Question. Is that check valve and plumbing connecting the spa and the pool necessary for proper functioning or safety of the pool/ spa?
If yes, I'll have to go to plan B (shown after this picture).
FD06EF53-429A-40C4-B85A-0A9F458B5EA1_1_201_a.jpeg

Plan B would be to install it on this horizontal pipe (shown below). Unfortunately, it is going to take some creative plumbing to get it to fit. Part of which is a 90 degree elbow right after the water exits the cell. The manual states to not have any thing restricting the water flow. Is that 90 degree elbow considered a restriction?

Thanks in advance everyone!
~Mike

96CF28C0-5017-47CA-85EE-76BE770A011E_1_201_a.jpeg

I can't quite make-out what the purpose of the check valve is for in your set-up, but assuming it still serves a vital function either for the spa or something else, I would go with Plan B. A 90 degree would not be considered a restriction, so you should be okay there.

I can't quite make-out what the purpose of the check valve is for in your set-up, but assuming it still serves a vital function either for the spa or something else, I would go with Plan B. A 90 degree would not be considered a restriction, so you should be okay there.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, the pool came with the house so everything is a guessing game. That 3/4" pipe with check valve is connected to the pool and spa return lines. Maybe to prevent the spa from draining into the pool when the pump is off?
The consensus is this pool was built back in the mid-eighties. Maybe pool builders do things different now.
Thanks again,
Mike

SWCG is installed and running smoothly so far. The manual said to start it at 75% power and adjust from there. I decided to start it at 40% because the unit is so much larger than required for our size pool.

I tried to post a picture of the finished install, but it keeps coming back "file to large for server" even though I have cropped it down.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
On another note whilst I have you. I read an article from 2019 on TFP regarding the chemical numbers for a SWCG pool. Are those still what everyone is using?
FC- 4-6
PH- 7.2-7.8
TA- 50-90
CH- 350-450
CYA- 60-90
Salt 200-400 PPM above recommended
Borates 30-50

Being summer and a liquid chlorine pool, I've been trying to maintain
FC- 7-8
PH- 7.4-7.6
TA- 70-80
CH- 400-500 (not much I can do about this. The water is the water)
CYA- 50-60

Even though I didn't put in as much salt as recommended I overshot it. Cirrcupool recommends 3000-4000 with 3500 being ideal. Mine is currently 4200, maybe 4000 depending on the last drop and red being red.

I am not using borates at this time and do not pan to unless something goes awry.

If the numbers in the 2019 article are still accurate I will begin to aim for those numbers with our now converted to SWG pool.

Best,
Mike

The above is our current chemistry level recommendations.
PoolMath also shows those ranges when using it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.