SWCG bypass loop incorrect?

pcollins22

Aug 7, 2016
Gilbert, AZ
Hi all,

There was a bypass loop to be added to my SWCG plumbing during initial construction. Not sure the entire reason for this, or if it's even beneficial to have, but it was recommended by a pool planner that I worked with.

In checking the plans vs the work, instead of installing the valve in-line with the main flow of water, they installed the SWCG here and placed the bypass valve in the loop next to it. This doesn't seem to make sense, as I feel the water will follow path of least resistance and the valve won't ever do anything, whether open or shut. Plumber states it's "done like this all the time".

Should I have them swap the SWCG and valve so it matches the plans, or is it irrelevant because I didn't need the valve/bypass loop to begin with?

(Red line in the picture shows the main run with the SWCG spacer installed. Green line shows the bypass loop with the valve)

Screenshot 2024-02-29 at 10.08.12 AM.png

Done like that all the time does not mean it works or is correct.

And that bypass loop will not work.

You need a 3-way diverter valve at the bottom that closes the SWG leg and opens the bypass loop.

There is no reason for a bypass loop on the SWG. Under what conditions do you think you need to bypass the SWG?

As I mentioned, I took the advice of someone in the planning/design space. I am planning to speak with them today to see the benefit of this.

Since it isn't functional and the work is done, wondering if I should just leave as is or have them swap the pieces to match the plan, or just remove the loop entirely.

I don’t like leaving non functional or incorrect stuff in place that will confuse people in the future.

Agree. Sounds like Pentair recommends to stay within the correct flow rates going through the cell, and this bypass can help dial this in when necessary?
You will never hit the maximum flow rate for the SWG.

Modern VS pumps are run slow.

You have a spa? Heater?

What filter?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.