Swapping out outlets/strainers Intex pool for haywards, connection question for PVC?

My main build is here however, this is more specific to the outlet swapping i'm about to do..

At first i thought i would go with this amazon based Intex strainer (which are much larger in overall diameter actually)..

Intex 11236 outlets with washers, 1.5" connection (it truly is 1.5 not 40mm on the part that would be on the outside of the pool, but there are no "inner" threads for PVC (1.5" inside threaded pvc doesnt fit over it).. it has a nicer strainer (smaller holes).

So it was suggested to go with the Hayward outlets with washers here SP1023.. these have inner threads that line up for "outer" threaded pvc i'm pretty sure.

In order to either plug up my one extra outlet in my new setup, i have to get this stopper and for the strainer for the haywards there is this one here
sp1026, however, those have giant holes, which i guess will be ok, or i could put some sort of hairnet over them to filter out larger objects (maybe?).

At any rate..

My main question is what PVC connection i should screw into the new outlet, which at this point i think i'm going with the haywood, makes the most sense with its inner/outer threads and standard? pvc connection at 1.5"

In my photo you can see i had on hand one outer threaded slip to threaded connection just to show it works (and i also have the screw on connector from intex hoses that works on both of these).

Do i simply get a right angle outer threaded elbow to slip elbow and go from there? Or do i need some sort of screw on connection like from a hose (in addition) to the right angle elbow? IE: will just the threading hold and not leak (with some teflon)? I assume thats all i need.. but just double checking. Or maybe i just use the threaded short piece in the photo then a slip in elbow after that to give it some more distance from the pool before bending 90 to the ground

Or perhaps some sort of screw apart section at the pool outlet outside spot would be better.. i'm assuming in the fall i should take the pvc connections off? (do people also take the haywards out of the liner or leave them in during the winter).

Either way looks like a return to lowes is needed for proper pvc threaded connections.

Thanks in advance

connections1.jpg

connections2.jpg

I would recommend you use the 1-1/2" MPT fitting on your new Hayward parts, if it's a male adapter, or threaded 90 is up to you. At the return fitting I would (and did) use a threaded adapter with a "street" 90, which has a 'male' end that fits into the threaded adapter, and a 'female' end that accepts 1-1/2" PVC pipe.

Make your connections to the Intex hoses with the GAME 40MM to 1-1/2" adapters. This will ensure the correct threaded connection for a reliable & leak free connection.

As far as the suction fitting, the choice is up to you. I am changing mine to a Hayward fitting to use it as a dedicated vac port for my Wanda The Whale.

I found that with my old Intex 2600GPH system that I couldn't run the suction port with my skimmer because it would reduce the skimmers suction a lot.

I would recommend you use the 1-1/2" MPT fitting on your new Hayward parts, if it's a male adapter, or threaded 90 is up to you. At the return fitting I would (and did) use a threaded adapter with a "street" 90, which has a 'male' end that fits into the threaded adapter, and a 'female' end that accepts 1-1/2" PVC pipe.

Make your connections to the Intex hoses with the GAME 40MM to 1-1/2" adapters. This will ensure the correct threaded connection for a reliable & leak free connection.

As far as the suction fitting, the choice is up to you. I am changing mine to a Hayward fitting to use it as a dedicated vac port for my Wanda The Whale.

I found that with my old Intex 2600GPH system that I couldn't run the suction port with my skimmer because it would reduce the skimmers suction a lot.

I finished my pvc, mostly, as mentioned elsewhere in my build thread etc.. The haywoods are great.. i do have a slight trickle leak on the suction/outlet port i have pvc'd to the haywood.. i think ill remove the white nut and put some teflon or use silicone if it dries..

Yeah that MPT inner threaded part is key to all this and makes the game adapters work like a treat.. thats what i went with (see pics)..

I probably will have to turn off my suction/inlet port so the haywood gets enough pull on my 2100 gph pump.. i think i really will switch out to the 4500 gph sand pump system ($239 best choice) in the very near future, so i can use both ports at the same time. Currently if i turn off that suction port via the ball valve, the pump loses water and sucks air, need to figure out why (or just turn off/backwash the sand pump when i toggle it).

I'm curious.. your going with that floor robot, wanda the whale.. any comparisons to the $50 (about half as much) robot from intex.. i made a split on the return for the intex robot, because it uses the return port for some reason.. are you saying that wanda will use an outlet not a return in its case?

wideview1.jpg

leftoutletcloser.jpg

returnconnectionsclose.jpg

I just bought an Intex 18' X 52" and also bought the Hayward skimmer, which isn't installed yet. I eventually would like to replace the flimsy hoses with PVC, but for now I'm just trying to get everything up and going. I see that you capped off one of the suction side outlets. What type cap is that? I'm thinking that if I replace both the outlets with Hayward outlets, I could cap one of them off and then use the hose from that one to connect the Hayward skimmer. Of course, I would have no flow control into the pump with that setup, but it might at least help me get the skimmer going. Here's what I have right now.

IMG_1092.jpg

I just bought an Intex 18' X 52" and also bought the Hayward skimmer, which isn't installed yet. I eventually would like to replace the flimsy hoses with PVC, but for now I'm just trying to get everything up and going. I see that you capped off one of the suction side outlets. What type cap is that? I'm thinking that if I replace both the outlets with Hayward outlets, I could cap one of them off and then use the hose from that one to connect the Hayward skimmer. Of course, I would have no flow control into the pump with that setup, but it might at least help me get the skimmer going. Here's what I have right now.
That cap was a little bit of a fail.. it was just a spare i had on, not sure from where.. i tried putting silicone around it, but it still dripped (too wet).. what is needed to cap those is this:
Amazon.com : Threaded Pool Return Line Plug - IG Pools : Swimming Pool Maintenance Kits : Patio, Lawn Garden (you can also get pvc plugs from lowes, but without that washer, they leak)

(I have a full list of the parts i used in my sig build thread too)

Until I can convert everything to PVC with ball valves to control flow, would it hurt to install the skimmer, close the plunger valve where the two outlet hoses currently meet, remove the large hose from the plunger valve, and attach it to the skimmer and have only the skimmer attached the the pump? I have some of the Game brand adapters to make the connection from the skimmer to the Intex hose. I'd really like to get the skimmer going to keep the water surface cleaner.

Until I can convert everything to PVC with ball valves to control flow, would it hurt to install the skimmer, close the plunger valve where the two outlet hoses currently meet, remove the large hose from the plunger valve, and attach it to the skimmer and have only the skimmer attached the the pump? I have some of the Game brand adapters to make the connection from the skimmer to the Intex hose. I'd really like to get the skimmer going to keep the water surface cleaner.

You can do that, but you will need to flush out the stagnant water trapped in those hoses with fresh pool water or algae/bacteria will be a problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I plan to order the Hayward outlets, but after thinking more about this, is there any reason I couldn't just plug both the wall outlets and only use the skimmer for flow to the pump? Is there a reason to have more than one source flowing to the pump? My pump is only 2,100 gal/hr, so I wouldn't think that would overdrive the skimmer. Just a thought.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
dnminyard,

I had the hayward skimmer hooked up to an Intex 3,000 GPH sand filter for two years on a 18x48"(connected the way you described) and it worked great. Periodically I would open the valve and let pool water flush out the two smaller hoses connected to the one valve. They skimmer and pump were a great combo. I just installed a 26'x52" and put in the same type of hayward skimmer. I'm using the two smaller ports differently this time--one a second suction line (with valve) and the other I cut out larger and installed a Hayward return jet. So, with the intex return jet, I will have two suction lines and two return lines.

dnminyard,

I had the hayward skimmer hooked up to an Intex 3,000 GPH sand filter for two years on a 18x48"(connected the way you described) and it worked great. Periodically I would open the valve and let pool water flush out the two smaller hoses connected to the one valve. They skimmer and pump were a great combo. I just installed a 26'x52" and put in the same type of hayward skimmer. I'm using the two smaller ports differently this time--one a second suction line (with valve) and the other I cut out larger and installed a Hayward return jet. So, with the intex return jet, I will have two suction lines and two return lines.
For your two suction lines, do you leave the regular one full open, or only crack it to like 20%, so that you still get good suction on the hayward? If both full open, do you get decent suction on both.. with my 2100gph 0.5 hp intex i get mediocre suction from both if both full open and amazing suction on the hayward if i close off the other suction/outlet.. i'm about to go with the best choice 1hp 4500gph 19" sand pump, hoping i can at least do a 20%/100% split on the two once its in place

One more question... When you swap out the Intex outlets with the Hayward outlets (which I have on order), do you cut out the Intex outlets to be a certain size hole to accommodate the Haywards? Thanks for the help.
You take the gasket that comes with them, just center them around the outlet existing hole.. tape it on with duct tape on the sides.. then take the sharp box cutter and slowly cut the inner circle around the gasket till you have the opening.. thats all there was to it... sounds scary but was easy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.