Swamp in my pool!

Monkeymom1999

May 7, 2019
Virginia
Last year our pool was a mess. Loads of issues upon opening. TFP forum was my SAVIOR! I'm hoping I can get some words of wisdom this time around.

Ok, so we opened about 2 weeks ago. Had a leak in a pipe which had to be fixed before we could turn it on. Fixed that then couldn't find my test kit. (It's like everyday is Monday) That arrived yesterday. So while we waited I added what Polyquat (sp.?) and 4 bottles of liquid 10% chlorine daily (2 in the am 2 in the pm). So did that for a week.
My brown swamp is looking loads better already. It's now like a cloudy blue sky.
Test results today
pH 7.2
ALK 75
CC .5
FC 1
CYA 60

So the app recommended 1 box of Borax, 5 gallons of chlorine 10%

I went ahead and added the chlorine, have water running into the pool now as we are going to have to waste debris from the bottom. Hopefully this addition and wasting will decrease my CYA over the next week or so.
Do I go ahead and add the Borax now or wait?
Also how often do I need to test while slamming? I'm home for the most part so can actually do this a bunch but know I'm going to run out of the FC reagent if I'm testing every hour or so.

Anyone have any suggestions where I can find liquid or granule chlorine online at a reasonable price? I've bought all they had at HD in South Hill VA and Lowes in Roanoke Rapids NC. My Walmart shows out of stock when I check online and every time I try to go to see in person there are a ton of folks there with no masks on. Afraid to risk it with my family in the at risk groups. I have 13 bottles let but if this year is like past years I'm gonna need double or more of that!

Thanks for any help/advice/guidance/moral support you can provide!

No Borax. Your pH of 7.2 is fine. For a SLAM it is perfect.

You can test and add LC every few hours.

As far as supplies, check farm stores, janitorial supply, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.