Surprised my family with a New Pool.

(y)Nice progress! It looks like you have some experienced subs. The rebar tie-ins for the walls are good, and the chairs look like they're providing sufficient lift. I couldn't tell from the pics, did they leave exposed rebar around the perimeter to do the bonding? Your electrical sweeps also look good, and the plumbing appears to be well thought out. It looks like you also bucked up for the lighted bubblers. I'll be curious as to your impressions when the pool is finished. Make sure you give a full 30 days for Gunite to cure before plaster, and water it regularly!
The pool came out Nicer than we could have ever Expected Darkrider. As for the bubblers, money well spent!

Attachments

• E261E96C-9CFA-49C1-9486-7CDCB85F5DEE.jpeg
    E261E96C-9CFA-49C1-9486-7CDCB85F5DEE.jpeg
    401.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 579952EB-92D3-47FA-AB5A-C1C5531B9B5C.jpeg
    579952EB-92D3-47FA-AB5A-C1C5531B9B5C.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 44
  • 44E1ADCB-BB28-4DB5-B5AA-D34A6C36E68C.jpeg
    44E1ADCB-BB28-4DB5-B5AA-D34A6C36E68C.jpeg
    340.4 KB · Views: 43
  • 8DDE5D17-C9B5-4C25-83F8-09583DCE18F9.jpeg
    8DDE5D17-C9B5-4C25-83F8-09583DCE18F9.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 43
  • AF445087-E9B1-4CC9-B7D7-5BEAB9D20512.jpeg
    AF445087-E9B1-4CC9-B7D7-5BEAB9D20512.jpeg
    463.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Ok, pool experts, I tested my pool water for the first time.I can't add salt for two more weeks. Here are the results.
PH, 7.8-TA,119-CH,261-TC, 1.3-CYA.26-TDS 200, Phosphate, 72. What do I need to add to the pool?

.He gave me a printout and a recommendation.
I also gave you a recommendation ;)

But for real. The pool store tests have shown to be off time and time again. We just don't know what to believe and what not to. It's played out 1000 or more times here, search until you believe me. :).

If we tell you to do XYZ with bad data, we risk causing problems and nobody wins.

Reactions: kimkats
I also gave you a recommendation ;)

But for real. The pool store tests have shown to be off time and time again. We just don't know what to believe and what not to. It's played out 1000 or more times here, search until you believe me.

If we tell you to do XYZ with bad data, we risk causing problems and nobody wins.
I believe you. I have been so busy with work and building the pool I don't have the time right now to do it myself. I will get the test kit and use it when I add salt in two weeks. I will post what he suggested I put into the pool water. Any feedback will be appreciated.

1qt Acid, 4 silk guard complete chlorine tablets in a floating dispenser.Two one-pound bags of bio guard Smart-Shock.

I will get the test kit and use it when I add salt in two weeks
Yes. *before* you add salt. Don't let the PB do it, they'll often foul it up. We had a member last year hit 600 ppm salt from the startup month alone. That's enough to overshoot target right there if it's the case for you too. Then many pools are over estimated for volume and they're overshot that way. The PB won't care about any if it. He'll send a guy to dump X bags in because that's what the bag says.

Test first

Add 75% then retest and creep up the rest of the way.

If you overshoot calcium, CYA or salt, you're draining. You *really* want to feel good about these chemicals test results before adding them. And then creep up to the target for all 3, just in case.

Any feedback will be appreciated.
I don't know much about the pool store products. I got off the Bioguard turnip truck a short time after finding TFP. :ROFLMAO: I've had $600 to $800 more in my pocket each season since.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes. *before* you add salt. Don't let the PB do it, they'll often foul it up. We had a member last year hit 600 ppm salt from the startup month alone. That's enough to overshoot target right there if it's the case for you too. Then many pools are over estimated for volume and they're overshot that way. The PB won't care about any if it. He'll send a guy to dump X bags in because that's what the bag says.

Test first

Add 75% then retest and creep up the rest of the way.

If you overshoot calcium, CYA or salt, you're draining. You *really* want to feel good about these chemicals test results before adding them. And then creep up to the target for all 3, just in case.

I don't know much about the pool store products. I got off the Bioguard turnip truck a short time after finding TFP. :ROFLMAO: I've had $600 to $800 more in my pocket each season since.
Once I get the SWG rolling I don't think I'm going to have to do too much. Right now I need to get it dialed in for the next two weeks and I'm good to go.

I'll add 375 Lb(s)of salt.17K gallon pool.

Please, oh please, don't add anything except liquid chlorine. You risk doing more harm than good going off the pool store results.

I will tell you ma pool store story:

First off I got my test kit before I even go the pool as I wanted to make sure I could do the tests and understand what was what. It was easy to do the tests! SWEET! See I had a pool before this one and it was RUINDED from me following the pool store's suggestions. My PH and TA were way out of balance and the CYA was SKY high. They told me to just remove enough water to lower it by 1" and refill it :roll: My liner "dry rotted" with water in it from the PH and TA being so out of balance.

Husband says he misses having a pool............fine find me a way to take care of it without the pool store............he found TFP. Well, well, well I can do that! Got the new pool installed and balanced. Life is great at our house again!

Once I got the water balanced I decided to take the balanced water to all of the pool stores here in town. Two start with the letter P, one starts with the letter L, and one is a mom/pop shop. Of the 4 pool stores NONE of them had the same results. Not even close! The "fix" ranged in cost from $50 to $125 even after I told them my water looked great. I also took some of the water I had carried with me back home to test to make sure the car ride with a bit of heat and the water kind of bouncing around on the ride did not affect it too much. The PH did go up a point but other than that is was the same as when I took it out of the pool before I left.

Now look at me! A MOD on a pool forum LOL Life is funny like that.

I will also invite @PoolStored in to share his story of how the pool store messed him up.

We gain NOTHING telling you all of this where the pool store gains money from doing the "free" water tests and selling you stuff to "fix" the water. Look in my signature below to see the link to out recommended chemicals. They can be bought from Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart, Target, etc. How neat is that?

First off, the lighted bubblers turned out awesome! Very cool effect at night. Can you also turn them on just for light, or do the bubblers have to be running when lit?

I agree with everything the gurus here have stated regarding the water testing and care. Water chemistry will seem very intimidating at first, but with the right equipment and a little practice, it becomes second nature. A good test kit is worth it's weight in gold, and will save you so many headaches and a lot of money on chemicals! You absolutely don't want to overshoot and have to drain water off, or potentially risk bad chemistry ruining your new plaster.

FWIW, even the readout from my SWG was off by about 100ppm salt and required calibration. The pool math app gives good estimates if you know your true pool size in gallons. However, it's still better to test as you go, so you know it's accurate. Once your water balance is dialed in, it will require very little adjustment, and you won't have to test things like CH, TA, CYA and Salt as often. Plan on testing pH and CL daily. The FAS-DPD test (powder and drops) for Chlorine will give the most accurate results. I'd use it until your SWG is dialed in and producing fairly consistent numbers. After that, you can use the single 5 drop test just to make sure it's holding throughout the week, and only do the more rigorous test weekly, or after a large party/gathering.

I went and had the water tested today. It's looking good. In two more weeks, I can fire up the SWG. Does Anything on this list stand out? Do I need to add chlorine every week until I add salt?

IMG_6708.jpeg

Does Anything on this list stand out?
Yes. Wanting you to use a copper based algecide then talking about why you don't want metals in your pool. 🤦‍♂️

They legit don't even know what they're telling you to put in the pool, or they wouldn't tell you to use it.

Screenshot_20230501_185254_Chrome.jpg

Run your own tests. Bioguard can't be trusted and they just want to sell you stuff. In the 'solution' box they want you to buy pool magnet plus, which will *supposedly* remove the copper they had you put in. (But doesn't actually).

Last edited:
Phosphate is high
526 parts per *billion*. Meh.

Use that paper to light your grill. Run your own tests and post them up. We've been with you for this whole journey and want to see you succeede. :)

What's the ETA on the kit ?

Reactions: Supersix

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.