Surgery, stay out of the pool. But why?

rwood5093

Bronze Supporter
Jun 5, 2016
Jamestown, SC
So, having had surgery this past Monday, they told me to stay out of the pool for 4 weeks. Last year for another surgery, different Dr's/nurses said 4 weeks or 6 weeks.
One Dr told me it was fine after incisions were closed, but to use waterproof bandaid, and to just wade around (do nothing strenuous) was OK.

Anyone have a legit reason why they give this advice? Do they just assume pool water is not sanitary? Is bleach the one magic chemical that will dissolve derma bond? Will the water pressure outside force pool water inside my body? Insert wild justifications here. Residual anesthesia combines with chlorine and creates a deadly combo?

Looking for opinions.... I have Dr's orders, but no one gave me a solid medical reason. Anyone have any ideas? I'm talking about my personal TFP pool. Not a nasty public pool.

Yes, I'm bored. Ideas?

Pretty standard advice. Properly chlorinated pool water is sanitary but it is not sterile. There are always new nasties being introduced in to the water from mother nature, chlorine kills these things but not instantly. As an open incision is extremely susceptible to such nasties, it is not a difficult decision for doctors to discourage swimming until things have healed and your skin barrier is intact.

Without knowing what surgery you had, I'd say it is prudent to avoid infection. Pools are not sterile, same as shower water is not sterile, but the doctors need to minimize the infection risks that folks will blame them for . So they warn you to be safe.

And soaking in a pool will soften the scabbing, which is natures bandaid. Avoid sun on incision site to avoid excess scarring.

Maddie :flower:

Now that I am almost done binging 14 seasons of Grey's Anatomy, I am more than qualified to answer this medical question. I could have even performed your surgery. Surgeons and their staff go to extraordinary measures to avoid infection. I'm guessing it is the most common complication of surgery, and potentially life threatening even from the simplest of surgeries. They're not going to go through all of that and then let you climb into a swimming pool, TFP or otherwise. Heck, doctors will order up a $4000 MRI just to cover their butt against the remotest possibility. Do you think they'd risk an infection just so you don't have to miss a month of swim season? Play it safe. Stay out of the water. Get started on Grey's Anatomy. A month of your life will be over before you know it! ;)

I had a foot reconstruction on 8/9/17 and was told the same thing. They don't want the wound to soften and open up (think pruny skin after a long bath or doing dishes). Plus it will keep any nasties out of the incision.

If it makes you feel better, I get to have another total foot reconstruction on 8/20/18 that will end my summer early.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.