Support brackets

tacomajerad

Jul 2, 2023
Spokane, WA
So I bought a 24x12 rectangular intex pool. I’ve leveled with a skid steer and added sand. My question is the pressure treated lumber that goes under the pool braces. Should I make them level with the sand then put down the ground cloth and liner or put the ground cloth down first then dig under the cloth to make the pressure treated lumber level with the sand? Help!

Thanks

Welcome to TFP! :wave: I've seen AGP supports (board or paver) both on top and dug-down level with the ground. Often times it depends on the pool and its type of supports. For example, Round AGPs with vertical posts have a base that is very close to the liner. In those cases, it's often times better to dig down a bit to make the paver or board level so it can't pinch the liner since the liner is very close to those type of posts. Otherwise the owner has to place something between the edge of the paver or board to protect the liner.

By contrast, there are the rectangle AGPs with the long u-shaped supports that are angled away from the pool a bit. Those don't come quite as close to the liner as the vertical posts and can be placed directly on the firm soil.

The way I setup mine:
I added the paver steps as this was the same point where I originally had the wood planks to support the legs.

1. Level area by removing material.
2. Use compactor to further compact soil.
3. Use laser level to see where I am and get me as close as possible without driving myself crazy.
4. Build retaining boarder out of 8x16 PT.
5. Laydown sand.
6. Use compactor to compress sand.
7. Use laser level to get me even closer (I think I am still within 1/4" after multiple years of staying up year-round)
8. Used cloth that came with Pool.
9. Use 1" think pink foam pads and Gorilla tape to connect them.
10. Mark areas where pool legs will go.
11. Cut pink foam and dig down roughly 8 inches in a 16x16 area.
12. Lay in 4 inches of pea store.
13. Place 16x16 paver on stone and use torpedo level
14. Place second paver on top of first making sure it is level with the top of the foam. If not added/removed a little more pea stone. Use torpedo level to ensure level.
15. Use 4-foot level across each paver making sure they are level in succession.
16. Setup/assemble pool.

As noted, many times in my other posts my only regret was not finding the pavers in 4 inch thick earlier. I am planning on going to the next larger pool 12x24 next year and might swap out the pavers then.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.