Super shock

GLH

Aug 9, 2018
Durant, OK
I’ve read to put something into a sock and place in the skimmer. I think this means super shock?
Also, I have two different shock products both containing Calcium Hypochlorite. The HTH 4 in 1 has56.44% and the Super Shockwave contains 73%. Which is better to use and is this what I put in a sock?
Thank you.

You add CYA / stabilizer, if needed, using the sock method.

The cal hypo you mention can be used for normal chlorination if your CH is below 350 ppm.

This is not correct. The sock method is for introduction of solid cyanuric acid.

We do not recommend the use of solid forms of chlorine in general as they add additional substances in to the water in addition to chlorine, substances that can build up and require draining and water replacement. Our preferred chlorinator is liquid chlorine/bleach. However, if solid chlorine is used it should be added directly to the pool, not in to the skimmer.

Ok great. Where do I find CYA / stabilizer? Recommended brand?
I have an algae problem and have been following a post on the forum as guidance. I am using a
HTH 6- way test kit, is the total hardness the reading to use for said CH?
And now it’s raining, ugghh.

As you need to SLAM, you will need to get a FAS-DPD test kit to properly measure your FC and CC. See FAS/DPD Chlorine & CC's test to get that kit.
CYA/stabilizer can be found at Walmart, Home Depot, etc.
CH is Calcium Hardness. No concern for your pool unless above 350 ppm.

Unfortunately the pool store testing is not as reliable as you would think. I would order your own kit and test and go from there. Don't add any stabilizer to the pool until you know what your current level is. If you over do it, you will be forced to drain water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Rule 1: Buy the TFT-100 test Kit and use it for Life. Rule 2: Never put in too much stabilizer, it's a pain to get out and counterproductive if too much. Rule 3: Read Pool School topics till you understand.

CYA is Cyanuric Acid. Powered, put it in the sock and sock in the strainer basket....must be added slowly to the pool this way. Don't backwash for at least 24-48 hrs. pump run time after all disolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.