Super II pump to scuppers

tstex

Silver Supporter
Aug 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Hello to all,

It wasn't until I just posted a pic of my equipment pad that I noticed the return lines to my scuppers each have a shutoff valve [see to the far right of the equip pad]. The super II pump is pretty robust and pumps a lot of water at the same time out of both scuppers. However, the water is so loud that it's almost not practical to run the scuppers when you want to talk in the immediate pool area.

By seeing the valves, I am assuming you can slow down the rate of the water to each scupper. if I did turn them down to 1/2 of the flow of water to the scuppers, what kind of stress does that put on the pump. There is a drain on the side of the pool that is used for the suction side of the Super II Pump. The distance from the pool/scuppers to the Super II pump is about 80-100ft..thanks for your input, tstex

Attachments

• pool-skimmer3.jpg
    pool-skimmer3.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 35
ts,

Let's wait for an answer from one of our pump guys, but I'm pretty sure that is the recommended way to regulate the pump's output and don't believe there is a down side unless you really try to limit the flow..

Let's see if I am correct, or just full of it. (Again!!!) About a 50/50 chance either way... :rolleyes:

Jim R.

It’s a high head pump. It’s a bad choice like a Whisperflo is a bad choice. I don’t understand why builders keep using high head pumps for low head applications.
You would be much better off with a fountain pump. A fountain pump pumps at half speed compared to a single speed pump. It’s basically the same as a two speed pump on low speed.
It uses a bigger impeller to compensate for the lower speed.
In any case, you can close the valves to limit the flow and it should be quieter. It looks like you have a pressure gauge so that you can monitor the pressure.
The higher pressure will make the pump run better because it’s designed for higher pressure.
As long as you don’t choke the flow down to almost zero, you should be fine.
I would try to keep the pressure below 20 psi.

I don’t subscribe too throttling down a pump to correct problems. It will shorten pump life and can create a fair amount of noise at the pump. Not to mention the amount of energy wasted. Looks like 2” plumbing with sweep elbows which flows a ton. The best option would be to replace the pump with a variable speed model. Expensive pump but allows for full customization of speed. Add electric utility rebate and energy savings and it can pay for itself depending on how often you use it. Alternatively you could replace it with a lower hp single speed or plumb in a bypass to the pool return from a spot just before the 2 valves. Not the best solution but it’s an option.

I don’t subscribe too throttling down a pump to correct problems. It will shorten pump life and can create a fair amount of noise at the pump. Not to mention the amount of energy wasted.
While it may be a waste of energy, it will not shorten the pump life. When slowing flow by adding head loss, the motor is under less load and lower current so if anything, it may actually increase the life of the motor.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.