Florida
Water results from few mins ago:

FC -> 5.0
ph -> 7.2
TA -> 80
CH -> 875 (****)
CYA -> 50
SALT -> 3600

My CH seems very high what should i do lower it? Besides draining pool a bit and adding new water? is there another way?

As said above, FL gets 50+ inches of rain a year which is the bulk of a free water exchange. Some overflows right out without diluting your water, but you'll be looking to replace CH soon enough. Hang tight. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Sometimes plaster dissolves and the pH, TA and CH all go up continuously.

I would also recommend a K-1766 salt test kit and a salinity meter that measures salinity using conductivity.

Monitor the levels for a while and keep good notes so that we can see some history to see if there is an obvious pattern.

Pool company did a wet (as in no drain, just added a bunch of acid) acid wash few weeks ago, but not sure if extra acid would increase CH
A no drain acid wash (aka zero alkalinity treatment) will increase the CH by dissolving plaster, which contains calcium compounds like calcium hydroxide and calcium carbonate.

How much acid was added?

What was added to neutralize the acid and how much was added?

Why was the no-drain acid wash done?

A no drain acid wash (aka zero alkalinity treatment) will increase the CH by dissolving plaster, which contains calcium compounds like calcium hydroxide and calcium carbonate.

How much acid was added?

What was added to neutralize the acid and how much was added?

Why was the no-drain acid wash done?
Pool had some spotting whitish and pool company recommended adding acid, they added about 5-6 gallons of acid, it did remove the whitish on the finish (for few weeks, its coming back in some areas) they didnt add anything to increase the pH because when they tested it the pH had bounced already on its on. pH on this pool been crazy high since day one, i lower it with acid and its bounces back quick!

The no drain acid wash increased the CH by about 300 ppm.

In my opinion, the plaster is probably defective and dissolving at an accelerated rate causing the pH, TA and CH to increase.

The other thread that I referenced had the same issue.

The no drain acid wash increased the CH by about 300 ppm.

In my opinion, the plaster is probably defective and dissolving at an accelerated rate causing the pH, TA and CH to increase.

The other thread that I referenced had the same issue.
Is there a way to test for this? Also i have an robot vacuum and since the acid wash its full of "sand" but the sand has like pool plaster particles. Also while brushing the pool i can see alot of this sand around.

Last edited:
Is there a way to test for this?
Try scratching the plaster to see if it is hard or soft.

Weak plaster scratches easily and good plaster is hard to scratch.

In weak pebble plaster, the pebbles come loose easily when brushing or scratching.

Are you getting a lot of loose pebbles?

This is difficult to tell the difference if you do not have a reference for good and bad plaster.

If the pH, TA and CH are all increasing continuously without adding fill water or chemicals, then the plaster is dissolving.

If the TA and CH increase the exact same amount, the plaster is probably dissolving.

Did you register the plaster with NPT?

Contact NPT and see what they have to say.

They can get a sample of the plaster by doing a core drill down to gunite and then examining the plaster for quality assurance.

Try scratching the plaster to see if it is hard or soft.

Weak plaster scratches easily and good plaster is hard to scratch.

In weak pebble plaster, the pebbles come loose easily when brushing or scratching.

Are you getting a lot of loose pebbles?

This is difficult to tell the difference if you do not have a reference for good and bad plaster.

If the pH, TA and CH are all increasing continuously without adding fill water or chemicals, then the plaster is dissolving.

If the TA and CH increase the exact same amount, the plaster is probably dissolving.

Did you register the plaster with NPT?

Contact NPT and see what they have to say.

They can get a sample of the plaster by doing a core drill down to gunite and then examining the plaster for quality assurance.

I didnt know i had to register plaster with NPT, i guess i can call my pool company and see what they say

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.