Super Confused - Dark Pebble Sheen Finishes (Help)

bnvs123

Jul 7, 2022
Florida
So we zeroed in on Pebble sheen. We loved the look of dark finish and thought black onyx is it. But just worried we won't see anything in the pool with a screen enclosure. In Florida, that could be a problem. Can anyone with experience with dark finishes and screen enclosures shed some light, please. Also any other colors closer to Black Onyx but a little transparent?

I'm not sure if you already made a decision, or are still looking for feedback, but this response may be helpful for you or others looking. We ended up going with Ocean Blue Pebblesheen, as my wife also had concerns about black being "too dark." It's funny, because Ocean Blue is nearly as dark, but pushes more blue than green. Someone explained it to me like this, and I found it helpful, so I'm passing it on. The darker plaster/pebble colors aren't really coloring the water, but rather providing the backdrop which gets amplified by viewing angle/distance. The water does look darker, but remains completely transparent, assuming your water chemistry is good. How dark the water appears is HIGHLY dependent on off-axis viewing angle. For instance, in our 9' deep end, I can easily see the bottom from directly overhead, even in the shade or at night. However, if I move further back and look at the same spot, the greater the viewing angle, the darker the water looks. For me not to be able to see the drains in the deep end, I have to move to a pretty extreme angle. At that point, the surface of the water turns into a mirror and the bottom disappears. This does happen some when viewing from my house or from far away points in the yard. However, it does not happen anywhere around the pool deck, unless I drop to an angle almost level with the water surface.

Reactions: DSMinAtlanta
I'm not sure if you already made a decision, or are still looking for feedback, but this response may be helpful for you or others looking. We ended up going with Ocean Blue Pebblesheen, as my wife also had concerns about black being "too dark." It's funny, because Ocean Blue is nearly as dark, but pushes more blue than green. Someone explained it to me like this, and I found it helpful, so I'm passing it on. The darker plaster/pebble colors aren't really coloring the water, but rather providing the backdrop which gets amplified by viewing angle/distance. The water does look darker, but remains completely transparent, assuming your water chemistry is good. How dark the water appears is HIGHLY dependent on off-axis viewing angle. For instance, in our 9' deep end, I can easily see the bottom from directly overhead, even in the shade or at night. However, if I move further back and look at the same spot, the greater the viewing angle, the darker the water looks. For me not to be able to see the drains in the deep end, I have to move to a pretty extreme angle. At that point, the surface of the water turns into a mirror and the bottom disappears. This does happen some when viewing from my house or from far away points in the yard. However, it does not happen anywhere around the pool deck, unless I drop to an angle almost level with the water surface.
I am going with Ocean Blue (or at least was 99% sure and am having a freak out that it might make pool too hot). You are in North Atlanta which is really close in climate to where I live (Charlotte). Do you have full sun backyard? Do you believe it is warmer due to the darker color? Your profile doesn’t have any photos of your pool. If you are open to sharing with me I would love to see it as there aren’t as many photos of ocean blue that I can find—- especially during the day. Lastly my PB didn’t have any to show when we went to at least a dozen pools. Lots of French grey and medium blues.

I am going with Ocean Blue (or at least was 99% sure and am having a freak out that it might make pool too hot). You are in North Atlanta which is really close in climate to where I live (Charlotte). Do you have full sun backyard? Do you believe it is warmer due to the darker color? Your profile doesn’t have any photos of your pool. If you are open to sharing with me I would love to see it as there aren’t as many photos of ocean blue that I can find—- especially during the day. Lastly my PB didn’t have any to show when we went to at least a dozen pools. Lots of French grey and medium blues.
We love the Ocean Blue, and don't find that it significantly makes the pool any hotter. Truthfully, with all of the rain we've had, I've actually run the heater some in the last 2 weeks. I just looked at iAqualink and it's currently 82F. Assuming no cloud cover, we get about 6 hours of full sun per day (10am - 4pm). I've seen the temp fluctuate by up to 5 degrees per day, but the water has never climbed over 88F, even on the hottest days. Here are some pics.

First thing in the morning, no direct sun:
1661865077498.png
Full sun
1661865427330.png
Full sun at an angle:
20220813_132845_copy_2016x1512.jpg

We love the Ocean Blue, and don't find that it significantly makes the pool any hotter. Truthfully, with all of the rain we've had, I've actually run the heater some in the last 2 weeks. I just looked at iAqualink and it's currently 82F. Assuming no cloud cover, we get about 6 hours of full sun per day (10am - 4pm). I've seen the temp fluctuate by up to 5 degrees per day, but the water has never climbed over 88F, even on the hottest days. Here are some pics.

View attachment 450253
Full sun
View attachment 450255
Full sun at an angle:
View attachment 450256
Thank you so much! This is immensely helpful and just reconfirms that this color is the right choice for us as my gut from the beginning is that the medium blues wouldn’t be blue enough given we have a very full sun backyard and there will not be any shade from trees for our layout. For whatever reason it is difficult to find as many photos of Ocean Blue as some of the other options—potentially because people think its too dark and therefore its less popular. In any case your photos are beautiful— I am in love with this color and knowing we are in similar climates and our pool won’t be bath water is all I needed to stop fretting the choice. You are a wonderful human being :)

Reactions: darkrider
Thanks guys. I just forgot about this thread. Your inputs are really helpful. @darkrider your pool and backyard are beautiful. My pool contractor pushed out for a couple of weeks due to summer holidays etc.. I am now leaning towards a lighter color as I will have a screen enclosure as well.

View attachment 450253
Full sun
View attachment 450255
Full sun at an angle:
View attachment 450256
That's very beautiful. We're in S. Atlanta and are about to begin the build process and believe we have settled on Ocean Blue as well. We especially love your deck. Can you share what you used? Thanks!

That's very beautiful. We're in S. Atlanta and are about to begin the build process and believe we have settled on Ocean Blue as well. We especially love your deck. Can you share what you used? Thanks!
Thanks! The decking is Belgard Lafitt Rustic Slab in the Belgian Stone color. Belgard is in the process of going from the Lafitt line over to the Origins line. The look is slightly different but very similar. It's also available in the Belgian Stone color. Depending on when your PB orders the decking, have them check availability. Our PB originally thought we'd have to do the Origins, but it turned out that there was plenty of local availability of the Lafitt, and they ended up giving us a better price on it!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.