NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
So I go to my local pool store to strictly buy muriatic acid because it’s the only place close that sells it. While I’m there the owner who is very nice starts talking to me and insists I should use SunGuard non-chlor crystals instead of liquid chlorine to supplement my SWG when needed. Currently I keep a bottle of liquid on hand to top off my FC quickly if it’s not where I want it to be at the end of the night. Doesn’t happen often. Anyway she tells me with a salt system she would use this sunguard stuff instead because it’s an organic non chlorine cleaner and it works similar to the way chlorine from a swg does. Anyway just curious what everyone’s thoughts were here. Attached is a close up of ingredients. Is this a good product an I adding anything I don’t want to? Is liquid definitely better? Walmart is the only place near me with liquid chlorine and they don’t always have it. I’m interested if there’s any truth to it being an organic sanitizer.
Another question I’m trying to figure out is the difference between chlorine and oxidizer. I follow tfp method for my pool but that was learned after I followed me hot tub manufacturers instructions on hot tub maintenance, I’m hoping to implement the same pool maintenance to my hot tub this year (will be a different post). Currently it has me adding chlorine to tap off what my swg creates as well as adding a weekly oxidizer. I’m trying to figure out why both and what they do differently.

Attachments

• 56414385-7E05-4C28-8791-A30734AC69AC.png
    56414385-7E05-4C28-8791-A30734AC69AC.png
    425.2 KB · Views: 8
No on the MPS (non chlorine shock), One, it messes up your chlorine testing. Two, it adds sulfates to the water, which can destroy the metal plates in the SWCG.

Use liquid chlorine.

In your tub, use chlorine. Again, oxidizer is a MPS based product. Use liquid chlorine.

Reactions: Liz315
"Pool store owner told me..." You can pretty much ignore anything that ever follows that statement.

MPS is an supplemental oxidizer that isn't helpful in a residential pool with sunlight exposure. It provides no benefit but as mentioned will mess up testing and build up sulfates in the water that will bring your SWG to an early death. No idea where she's getting "organic sanitizer" but it provides no sanitation and is pretty much as organic as anything else.

In a water system there's sanitizers and oxidizers. Sanitizers kill bacteria, oxidizers break down waste. Some things like MPS are just oxidizers and help break down waste. Some things like UV are just sanitizers and kill bacteria. Chlorine is both a sanitizer and oxidizer. It rarely needs help in doing its job in a residential environment, but people who sell such supplemental items will always say otherwise.

Reactions: Liz315
Amazing that’s why I ask you guys. Seriously thanks for everything I truly appreciate it.

Reactions: Pv2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.