Sunday - Cloudy pool. Added chemicals and got numbers right, Tuesday GREEN pool - Please help

stokercw

Jun 11, 2019
Pittsburgh
21x21x52 agp. (11,500 gals)
Three weeks ago, I started off with a cloudy pool, which then turned green.
I did a lot of reading in the forums and bought the K-2006 test kit.
Zero FC.., PH was good at 7.4
Shocked the pool by adding two gallons of bleach (6%)

Green cleared but still cloudy. Shocking pool raised my PH so I used PH minus to lower PH.

Sunday - very slight algae - still some cloudiness
PH 7.3
FC 1.5
CYA 40
Added 36 oz of bleach
Monday (could not check)
Tuesday - Green pool again!!

Please help!!

Last edited:
Thank you,
So based on this chart and my CYA of 40, using the calculator I should add 3 gallons of 6% bleach.
I should also mention that yes, I was testing my PH IMEDIATELY AFTER adding bleach

CYA (Stabilizer)Minimum FCTarget FCSLAM FC
20*23-510
3024-612
4035-716

That is the correct amount of 6%. Watch out for household bleach, really hard to find it without scent, splashless, Cloromax, etc. Clorox bleach is not a good source.
Best is to find 10% at Walmart, Home Depot, etc.

Once you raise your FC to 16 ppm, pump is to run 24/7 until the SLAM is over. Test your FC as often as possible (at least 3-4 times per day) and add liquid chlorine to raise your FC back to 16 ppm each time. Brush as often as possible.

Thank you,
So based on this chart and my CYA of 40, using the calculator I should add 3 gallons of 6% bleach.
I should also mention that yes, I was testing my PH IMEDIATELY AFTER adding bleach

Whatever it takes to get to 16 FC. But remember, this is a process, not a one-time megadose. SLAM means Shock Level And Maintain. So a couple hours after you've added all that bleach, you'll need to test and add some more bleach. Again and again and again until you pass all three tests. And "the water is clear" means even after brushing. It means you can toss a quarter into the deep end and at least see it. Ideally, you'll be able to call heads or tails....

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.