Summit Heat pump HP code

Neefer

Jun 10, 2015
Maryland
I have a Summit heat pump that is original to my pool since 2014 build. Normally, if I turn thermostat to ask for heat and I get an HP code I know I need to backwash and then all is well again. But lately it gives me an HP code every time I ask for heat and even if I had backwashed the day or two before. So when I this happens, I have "played along" and backwashed anyway and the code is then gone, it heats my pool for me, until next time I ask for heat again when I swim a couple of days later and it repeats. And the heat pump IS heating the pool well and working. So what should I be looking for? Does it need some maintenance? Do I call an HVAC person? I worry then know nothing of pools and if there could be a separate cause of the issue. I'm in a small town and the shop that built my pool is very much not into customer service so I'm usually left on my own to deal with things.

Do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test

You can have algae clogging your filter and slowing the water flow within a couple of days of backwashing.
Thank you. I'll try this tomorrow night. By the way, all of my chemistry has been great this year, except my calcium is too high. It's at 400 which is this highest it's ever been. So I just wondered if that could have anything to do with my issue. I'm not going to get around to doing a partial drain for another week or two.

Thank you. I'll try this tomorrow night. By the way, all of my chemistry has been great this year, except my calcium is too high. It's at 400 which is this highest it's ever been. So I just wondered if that could have anything to do with my issue. I'm not going to get around to doing a partial drain for another week or two.
No, your CH of 400 has nothing to do with your issue.

Thank you both for your replies. Problem seems to have disappeared after it behaving that way for a couple of weeks. I hadn't gotten the chance to do overnight loss test. I'm guessing the algae issue may have been correct and it resolved.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.