Summer Waves Elite with SFX 1000 pump. Can I run the pump full time?

edweather

LifeTime Supporter
May 1, 2010
Kingsland, GA
A little nervous about running this cheap pump full time. When we had an in-ground with a good pump we ran it full time, because part time couldn't keep the pool clean. Is there a run time recommendation for above ground pools? Ours is 14' x 48", and holds 3,500 gallons. Thanks, Ed

Those little pumps are not going to keep your pool clean. The main reason to run the pump is to mix chems and filter the water. If you get good skimmer action in your little pool, and not much debris you can run it for a couple of hours a day. The most important element in keeping the pool clean is to keep the chlorine up at the appropriate level. You may want to look into automatic pool cleaners designed for these smaller soft side pools if you want something you can use in the pool daily. Another option is to cover the pool when not in use. You can also look into getting an inexpensive pump/sand filter combo for regular above ground pools. If you are handy they are not difficult to install with minor modifications to the plumbing.

I had a 17' summerwaves with that same pump. I ran it 24/7 for four months straight. I had six filters and swapped them out on rotation two a day. Two in use, two being cleaned and two as backup. As long as the pump is running it will do a barely adequate job. That was the first summer we had the pool. I upgraded to a sand filter and 1 hp pump with a true skimmer box and never looked back. That being said, I got four Summers out of that 17' summer waves. Just brought home a 18' Summer waves elite yesterday.

Thanks for the replies. Am going to do some experimenting on the pump run time. We have about an 8 month swimming season here, and would like to get a full season from the pump. A new pump costs more than the pool. I checked the filter after only one day, and was surprised at the amount of stuff it caught. I immediately hosed it out. We have a 6 pack on order. Pump life will probably be maximized with clean filters. BTW, what filter/pump/box did you get? Thanks, Ed

Last edited:
I have been running ours 24/7 for a few weeks
SFX 1000

got to swap it out for my hayward skimmer /main - Intex 2500pump / and full time little intex 530 pump

I ran that little secondary pump 530 gph which i figure circulates water all time especially when 2500 is off
I ran it 24/7 for 7 months and hope to do the same this year

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.