Sulfate Testing Strips

May 25, 2009
300ppm or greater is a problem. You’ll probably need to dechlorinate the water sample first. Pull a sample and let it sit for a day or two before you measure it. Without some kind of standard, it’s hard to know if it works. Maybe try mixing up a solution of Epsom Salt.

300ppm or greater is a problem. You’ll probably need to dechlorinate the water sample first. Pull a sample and let it sit for a day or two before you measure it. Without some kind of standard, it’s hard to know if it works. Maybe try mixing up a solution of Epsom Salt.

Thanks. I'm surprised there isn't more on this considering how much dry acid I see go flying off the shelves. Sulfate testing is puzzling mystery for the average pool owner. Water around here is a commodity so I'm not a big fan of draining the pool. I need a gauge to tell me whether it is indeed the sulfates that are causing my kool deck to unravel or its high mileage (splashes, walking, sun, etc.).

Sulfates are generally hard to measure without a testing lab being involved. There are no simple analytical chemistry methods to determine concentrations without access to specialized equipment. The test strips are not super accurate. I would consider them just a ballpark value.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.